Need a little help on electrical problem

MarkLaird

Cadet
Last week I finally got my boat running and put took it out for about 4hrs. On my way in I noticed that the tach had stopped on 4000 rpm's and the gas and volt gauge was reading 0. Then I smelled a wire burning, So I hurry up and got back in. The burning wire smell had stopped but I had no power anywhere after I turned the motor off. So, After muching checking, I discovered that a main hot wire at the starter solenoid had become broken off due to corrosion.( This was not the Hot wire from the battery but the wire coming from the solenoid) I put this wire back on and got power back to everything but the gauges. At this time I can't figure what's going on? Just the tach(Needle stuck at 4000 rpms)<br />gas gauge(reading empty, I know there's at least a half of tank) and the Volt gauge( reading dead)<br />are not working. Everything else is find. My question is where should I start to look. I know the smell came from the insrument panel somewhere by the ignition switch. But I'm not exactly sure.<br /><br />Is there a way to check the ignition switch?( The motor cranks OK)So I have some current. Is there a main wire under the dash or by this switch that feeds these gauge's?<br /><br />Any help would be gratefully appreciated!<br /><br /><br />1990 Bayliner Capri 90 Hp L-Drive<br /><br />Thanks!

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral
Re: Need a little help on electrical problem

Follow your nose. You'll smell the bad wire, or at least be able to localize it. Get out the flashlight and have a good look around. Check for blown fuses, especially back on the motor. Hopefully you found the problem, but I'm inclined to think that was an effect and not the cause. I think you have a short someplace else that caused that solenoid wire to fail. The corrosion probably only made it weak. Maybe you should just up and replace that ignition switch. Especially if it's exposed to a lot of rain or dampness. They can corrode inside and short out.

MarkLaird

Cadet

Thank you for your input. I agree that The problem might have to due with the ignition switch. I'll have to try and locate one somewhere.<br /><br />Thanks again

MarkLaird

Cadet

Hello, This has got me baffled still. I can't get the gauges to work. I hope i did not fry them. I went futher into checking and have power to the gauges but they do not work nor move at all. Everything else works great. Just the Volt,Fuel and Tach will not work.(Tach is stuck at 4000)<br />Could there be a ground wire off? Could I of fried the gauges? I have check almost all the wires connected to these gauges and they seem fine. Is there someway to check and see if they are toast? I have power to the ignition switch but only to two places( 1 always hot and the other shows hot when I turn the key to on) I assume this is normal? Should all connections at the switch be hot when I turn the key to on? When I try to jump the other connections I get a spark.<br />Where can I pickup a new ignition switch for a 1990 Capri Bayliner? <br /><br />I hope someone can help me out before I wind up spending big bucks at a marina getting this fixed!<br /><br />Any ideas or help would be appreciated!!

scotiany

Senior Chief Petty Officer

You can get a new switch right here at iboats at an excellent price. DO NOT ever use an automotive switch. You will fry your ignition system(at least that's true for magneto equipped ignitions)

gonefishie

Commander

I learned this the hard way, do not jump the power pin to any of the other pin on the ignition switch, it will blow the main fuse.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

hello<br /> to test for power are you using a voltmeter or a 12v test light ?

eurolarva

Rear Admiral

That motor uses a rectifier. I believe the feed for the tach works off the rectifier. I dont know about the other instruments though. If you have a volt meter set to dc volts connect it to your battery when the motor is running the voltage should go up. This may not be your problem but it might be worth checking out.

MarkLaird

Cadet

Thanks for helping..I have used a test light when checking for power. Where would i locate the Rectifier? Would the rectifier cause the tach to remain at the last recorded rpm before it went?<br />Thanks again<br /><br />Also, I have checked almost if not every wire under the dash panel and cannot find a burnt wire nor bad fuse. Could this really be a ignition switch problem?

MarkLaird

Cadet

Hello, Still seeking a answer to the first topic. Gauges will not work..Could I have fried them all?<br />Where is the rectifier? Can it be checked?<br /><br />Also, this baby must go. 1st $500.00 takes it!

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

Yes the rectifier can be checked, as eurolarva aid.<br />Use a simple volt meter to chech voltage at the battery, should be over 12v.<br />Then start the engine, check voltage again, should be over 13v if it is charging.<br /><br />The wiring on your motor should match one of the 2 links below. They both use the same rectifier, #12 in the diagram.<br /><br /> http://www.mercruiserparts.com/Show...&inbr=1330&bnbr=1&bdesc=ELECTRICAL+COMPONENTS <br /><br /><br /> http://www.mercruiserparts.com/Show...ng&inbr=1341&bnbr=1&bdesc=IGNITION+COMPONENTS <br /><br /><br />It should have 4 wires attached. <br />2 yellow wires in from the stator.<br />a grey wire out to the tach.<br />a red wire out to the starter relay- then to the battery.<br />You can check the grey wire for voltage while the engine is running.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

The gauges can be checked for voltage too.<br /><br />You deliver it, and give me $500, and I'll take it.