Need a little help! Clicking from Bravo 3

tripc

Seaman Apprentice
Hey all.
I just got my boat back from the shop. Its been in there a long time. I had a 6.2 merc rebuilt and I needed to get some work down on my drive.
THe shop did the drive last and replaced the following.
-bellows
-2 U-Joint kit Assembly
-1 Gimbal bearing
-Fluid
-Sleeve
-Carrier Assembly
-Yoke stub

Heres my problem.
I get the boat to the my marina to splash it. Get the boat in the water everything sounds great. I take the boat straight to my slip to pick up and wait for some more people to arrive.
We wait for about an hour until we are loaded and ready to hit the water. Not even out of the NO-Wake zone I start to hear this ticking noise. Put the boat in neutral and open the hatch. NOise goes away. Put the boat in drive and the noise comes back. It is rev sensitive while in gear. I turn stragiht around and slip it. Have no idea but it is coming from the drive area.

Call the shop. They come out to the boat(im not there) and they call me and say they dont hear anything. Thats funny! He goes out the next day to see if he can hear anything. He does here the noise. This noise sounds jut like lifter tapping but a little louder. He is saying it sounds like a broken gear. There is no grinding or anything just tapping.

With them replacing most of the upper drive could for some strange reason I now need to replace the gears? I found it funny that it does not do it all the time/. Thats why im thinking it is not the gears. Did not make a sound when I first took it off the trailer to the slip, and he did not hear it the first time he went out.

Any ideas?

tripc

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Need a little help! Clicking from Bravo 3

Does anybody think that it is the gears in the drive. If so should I pay or have the shop that just replaced a bunch of drive parts pay.

tripc

Seaman Apprentice

Anyone??

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

I would use a mechanics stethoscope and find out exactly where the noise is coming from before blaming it on the drive.

Since we can't hear noises in 3D or locate them on a forum, it makes it very hard to diagnose them.

tripc

Seaman Apprentice

Going to try to get some video of the noise tomorrow. I dont know if I can use a stethoscope cause the boat is on a hoist in the water. Might be hard to get around my swim platform.

tripc

Seaman Apprentice

Well I had the lower gears replaced cause thats what the tech thought was wrong. Get the boat back out and sure enough . 10 mins into it the same exact noise. It only does it when it gets warm or up to temp. Could it be just a bad u-joint(defective)maybe? Maybe when the grease gets hot it starts slapping around the socket. I dont know but im out of cash and it still is not fixed.