Need A Fish Finder

swordfish25

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Have a 14 ft. alumn. boat, with manual start motor, and looking for a fish finder. I bought a eagle portable and it ate up batteries fast. They said If you were to use it sparingly it might last 8 hours. Took that back quick. Anyone have any exspearence with these? If I go bigger, what do I use for power? Don`t rearly want a big battery back there in the way.

Boss Hawg

Lieutenant
Re: Need A Fish Finder

Have a 14 ft. alumn. boat, with manual start motor, and looking for a fish finder. I bought a eagle portable and it ate up batteries fast. They said If you were to use it sparingly it might last 8 hours. Took that back quick. Anyone have any exspearence with these? If I go bigger, what do I use for power? Don`t rearly want a big battery back there in the way.

Which ever sounder you decide on it will draw very little battery "juice"=
I have a freind that just uses a small "deer feeder" battery for his :cool:
Lawnmower battery will work too but a little bigger than the feeder battery

bkwapisz

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Need A Fish Finder

We have an old Humminbird graph on our rowboat and we have it hooked up to an old motorcycle battery and there's no charging mechanism. I went out fishing with the kids for 1-3 hrs at a time about a dozen times and never recharged it. Battery's old too. I'm not sure how much current the newer units draw, but this was our experience for what it's worth. :confused: