Need a boat opinion please...

sickwilly

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Need a boat opinion please...

What does he mean by "unusual" condition? He does not list the hours, so I expect that they are high. Well cared for, that is a great boat.

masongardner

Petty Officer 3rd Class

What does he mean by "unusual" condition? He does not list the hours, so I expect that they are high. Well cared for, that is a great boat.
It says usual condition which I would assume means some wear and tear on the upholstery. I asked him the hours but no reply yet. I will put it on here when he answers me

rallyart

Lieutenant Junior Grade

The older Tige boats are not nearly as good as their new ones are compared to other boats of that age. The hull has been redesigned several times since 1998. That one will be far more likely to stuff the bow deep into the water than it's competitors and was a bit heavier than others. It looks to be in very nice condition. The engine and driveline are pretty standard and not hard to look after or get serviced.
People liked the wake for skiing and boarding usually. The TAPS system should be used when you test drive the boat as it makes a big difference.
At this time of year I would think there is some room in the price for you to negotiate. It looks pretty buy it is a 15 year old boat by a smaller manufacturer. (at that time) Prices vary quite a bit for D-drives of that era.

Last edited:

achris

More fish than mountain goat

Interesting that he's telling you more about the sound system, than the boat...

masongardner

Petty Officer 3rd Class

The older Tige boats are not nearly as good as their new ones are compared to other boats of that age. The hull has been redesigned several times since 1998. That one will be far more likely to stuff the bow deep into the water than it's competitors and was a bit heavier than others. It looks to be in very nice condition. The engine and driveline are pretty standard and not hard to look after or get serviced.
People liked the wake for skiing and boarding usually. The TAPS system should be used when you test drive the boat as it makes a big difference.
At this time of year I would think there is some room in the price for you to negotiate. It looks pretty buy it is a 15 year old boat by a smaller manufacturer. (at that time) Prices vary quite a bit for D-drives of that era.

My end goal is to be able to surf with the boat I buy. If the tige isint be best of hull designs will in be able to handle extra weight (fatsacs) in it? And if not, is maybe this a better choice

1999 Ski Centurion *Low Hours*

masongardner

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Another thing about taking water over the bow is that we are on a smaller reservoir. When it get windy and choppy we bail out and go to the slip. But with my goal of wanting to surf, some say that the Tige is not the best option. Any thoughts??

Here is maybe a much broader question, but best waksurfing boat late 90's early 2000's??

Supra, Ski nautique, Tige or something else??

Last edited:

rallyart

Lieutenant Junior Grade

There is lots os space to put sacs in the back seating area for surfing. Many like the v-drives better because the engine weight is further back but I think you can get just as much with a d-drive. You'll probably need 1100-1500# to get a powerful wake.
Many of the better surf hulls have deeper Vs but the newest 'surf tab' versions don't seem to need that as much. You can make just about any inboard surf reasonably well. The trick is getting enough weight, far enough back, and creating enough list to the side you wish to surf. The water usually flows off the Tige hull fairly well so it may be good. Just be careful driving it when loaded. Centurion boats have a good reputation for surfing but that is from the Avalanche and Enzo which run a deep V.
At the price range you are looking I would find a good boat that you enjoy driving, and then figure out where to put water ballast to make it right for surfing.