Need a bit of assembly advice from the masters

Jcstratt

Seaman Apprentice
I have a 2000 Johnson 90hp 60degree V4 looper that I am rebuilding. The crankshaft has 2 main bearings that are needle bearings in a retainer with a split sleeve outer race. The outer race has a hole to align with a pin in the block. On mine, the pins have been pushed into the block and no longer engage the split sleeve race. Is there a workable solution or do I have to pull/drill out the old pins and install new ones?

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral
Re: Need a bit of assembly advice from the masters

They have to come out. They're still pushing on the case of the bearing and could create a hot spot and bearing failure. Or you can grind them down and drill in new pins. See if there are any oil passages in the block that would align with the bearings before going that direction.

Jcstratt

Seaman Apprentice

Yes, each bearing also has an oil hole that aligns with one in the block.

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

They actually come out pretty easy. We usually drill into them and then screw in a sheet metal screw. Once you have something to grab it'll pull out easily. <br /><br />Some are in pretty deep but will still catch. It doesn't have to be much.

Jcstratt

Seaman Apprentice

Do you pull them out and replace them or just pull them out until they can engage the bearing?