Near SHT

CoveSeeker

Seaman Apprentice
I anchored close to an island/cliff that the kids like to swim/jump off of. When it came time to pull the anchor, i debated whether or not to start the engine first. I decided to go ahead and pull anchor first so then i wouldn't have to worry about my 4 yr old son messing with the throttle--there were 2 other adults on board--maybe i was being overly cautious. There was a slight breeze but i figured after pulling anchor it would blow us away from the island--it's called "Rock Island". After I pulled the anchor i was already close to the island and then the wake from passing boats sends us drifting toward the rock. I crank the engine and it doesn't want to start. The engine just kept turning over and over and would't start. We get to within 5 feet or less from the rock and i remember reading online threads about the kill switch. I looked and mine was in the on position, but i went ahead and nudged it to make sure it was all the way on--the engine started right up and i back away. If the engine hadn't started the starboard side of the hull would've been scratched up pretty good. I figure my son must have tugged on the lanyard just enough to activate the kill switch--if there's a button to be pushed or if there's something to grab he'll find it.
These online fourms are great!
Paul
here's a pic of the island:
http://www.baylinerownersclub.org/gallery/album373/Photo_080605_009

jall65

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: Near SHT

Glad you didnt run your battery down... That Island look cool:)