Near Darwin Award Winners

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral
1st Idiot - "Yea lets pound on this bag of gunpowder with a sledgehammer"<br />2nd Idiot - "GOOD IDEA!"<br /><br />*****************************************<br />Earlier on Sunday, two teens were burned by exploding gunpowder at a north Harris County home. The accident happened after a group of youths took apart hundreds of shotgun shells and concocted a dangerous homemade cocktail, Green said. <br /><br />The 16-year-old boys were burned when a flash fire ignited around 7 p.m. at a home in the 20700 block of Greymoss Lane near Harvest Hill, officials said. Six other teens, ages 16 and 17, were present when emergency crews arrived. <br /><br />Green said there was no adult supervision at the time of the accident. <br /><br />The youths had taken apart 400 .22-caliber rounds and at least one box of 20-gauge shotgun shells, pouring the gunpowder into a bowl, Green said. They then added Crystal Drano to the gunpowder and poured the mixture into a rubber glove, he said. <br /><br />The youths then used a sledgehammer to grind the substance into a fine powder, apparently generating enough heat to set off the gunpowder. <br /><br />One boy suffered first-, second- and third-degree burns to his left leg, right arm and face and first-degree burns to nearly all the exposed portions of his body. The other teen suffered first- and second-degree burns to his face, right arm and right leg. <br /><br />Earlier in the day, the teens had thrown homemade dry-ice bombs into the street and used a videocamera to film some of their antics, Green said. <br /><br />Investigators seized the empty bullet boxes, shotgun shells, bullet casings, the sledgehammer, various fireworks, dry ice coolers and the video camera. All of the youths will be brought to the fire marshal's office to give written statements and interviews. <br /><br />The condition of the injured teens was not known Monday evening.

bh357

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Near Darwin Award Winners

Green said there was no adult supervision at the time of the accident. <br />
You don't say :rolleyes:

ndemge

Commander

Idiots<br /><br />People think they are bullet proof.<br /><br />Have I played with making sparkler bombs? Yes, But I run 50' of wire to electronically ignite!<br /><br />You CAN play with fire, as long as your family tree has more than 2 forks and doens't have Darwin as the first cousin.

demsvmejm

Master Chief Petty Officer

As I've said for years, and read here too, "Stupid Should Hurt!" Hopefully these idiots are charged with crimes to demonstrate these stupid acts won't be tolerated.

Kenneth Brown

Captain

Ol Norse hit it on the head. I won't admit to it but a balloon with oxy/acet mix is a blast, literally.... They didn't do it safely and thats why they were hurt. Use a toilet paper "wick" about 3 feet long and get way back. Biggest boom us civilians will ever hear.

NathanY

Commander

aaaaaahhhhhhh, the days of the potato cannon, trash bag bombs, and hair spray torches. :( :( :(

Link

Rear Admiral

Originally posted by Nathan in Arkansas:<br /> aaaaaahhhhhhh, the days of the potato cannon, trash bag bombs, and hair spray torches. :( :( :(
Yup have already bared my sole here about making home made black powder and what we now call pipe bombs (we called them home made fire crackers) in the 6th grade. Just glad I LIVED through Growing up :) <br /><br />BTW I'm 51 and Mrs.Link is 45<br />Someone made a post about what mothers already know<br />IE: Break fluid when mixed with bleach makes smoke.. alot of SMOKE!<br />Well Mrs.Link and I tried it! (last year) It didnt do squat!<br /><br />Does this mean we still need Adult Supervison or that Don't believe everything you read on the web?? :D

samagee

Chief Petty Officer

Hey, hairspray torches are great for clearing out a bee/hornets nest.

Homerr

Commander

Stupid people just shouldn't be allowed to breed!<br /><br /><br />H.

Skiuseme

Chief Petty Officer

I Like the old Works toliet cleaner and tin foil Concocktion In a glass bottle, and also the ever popular the can of baked beans not opened in the fire.