NC Flounder

mstan55

Seaman Apprentice
Hey Everybody!

If you can get the chance, ya'll come down to NC and get in on the great flounder fishing this time of year. Here is a pic of a 4.7 pound fish I caught last week. Flounder fishing is fun, especially when they are biting well. Flounder is one of the best tasting fish out there, and this one was no exception!

Also, on this trip my 19 month old daughter was finally old enough to take a boat ride, and I couldn't resist helping her wet a line. She is a natural!

Attachments

• 226 - Copy.JPG
    226 - Copy.JPG
    36.9 KB · Views: 0
  • flounder2.jpg
    flounder2.jpg
    8.7 KB · Views: 0

first boat

Cadet
Re: NC Flounder

I've seen some 10 pounders come out of the water lately. But they came out on a gig:D

mdlee

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Man I love flounder, and I love to gig... Have giged a few big sheepshead in the last few years,,, When I was a kid giging Read fish was legal, that was relly fun,, like holding a pitbull to the bottom..

roll_tide

Cadet

Where abouts in NC? I'm in Jacksonville!!

You've got to give me some pointers on those flounder. All I ever fish is the New River around Jacksonville. I've been catching plenty of flounder the only problem is, there are all in the 10-13" range!

walt-oxie1

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I am in Jacksonville also and am real familiar with New River. Check around Hospital Point, Kellum Point, and the bank between Northeast Creek and Wallace Creek. There is also a decent area near French Creek. There has been a bunch of "dead water" (no oxygen) coming out Northeast Creek for the past few weeks with all the extremely high tides and the fish are running out to the main river.

Where abouts in NC? I'm in Jacksonville!!

You've got to give me some pointers on those flounder. All I ever fish is the New River around Jacksonville. I've been catching plenty of flounder the only problem is, there are all in the 10-13" range!

roll_tide

Cadet

Thanks a bunch. I fish around Hospital Point and the between those creeks fairly often. Never tried Kellum Point.

Do you mainly fish the docks and dropoffs or on top of the sand bars/flats?

I usually have better luck around pies and docks but they are usually small flounder. I've caught a couple of small keepers though.

I like to use a carolina rig. 3/4 oz barrel swivel with a red bead between the egg weight and swivel. Then I use a really small Spro swivel and 25" flurocarbon leader. Seems like I have better luck with live menhaden rather than live finger mullet.

Have you had any problems finding finger mullet lately? Seems like all I ever see is Menhaden.

walt-oxie1

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Menhaden have taken over New River. The only small mullet I have seen there lately has been towards the end of Morgan Bay and out to Stone Bay. I have seen some finger mullet on the far opposite side of the river across from Kellum Point (where building 2 is on LeJeune). I was out yesterday and when I shined the light in the water it was wall to wall Menhaden. Since the Pogie Boats (crab bait) have stopped working the area the population has skyrocketed. I usually fish the shoals, around any structure and near the edge of the drop. I fish commercially and recreational and can tell you, the fish are there. Have you tried fishing for any Spots lately?

roll_tide

Cadet

I haven't fished in the river for spots, but I took my son down to Sea View Pier Wednesday night. We put 58 in the cooler within a few hours. Have you seen them in the river? I would like to take the wife and kids out and out them on some keeper fish:)

joeymagnus1

Cadet

For any who are interested, I was just out at Atlantic Beach this afternoon at low tide and was catching ballyhoo with a cast net. I'm fairly new to SW fishing, so are they good bait? They were around 6 to 10 in. long.

mstan55

Seaman Apprentice

Good to hear the flounders are there up there in the New. I've never fished that area, but I've heard that they can get big up that way. Especially near Sneads Ferry. I'll have to check that out sometime.

I'm fishing mostly in Brunswick County, and was down there last week. Fish didn't want to cooperate, but did manage a few keepers for some good eating. East winds were consistant all week, so as the old saying goes...

Hoping to hit 'em again towards the end of the month before they head out of the skinny water.