Navonics maps

ECHO 1

Seaman Apprentice
Has any body ever tried saving any additional info on a Navionics mapping card or would this screw up the card.

tommays

Admiral
Re: Navonics maps

It may depend on the brand of GPS on a Lowrance it stores things on the units internal memory which can be backed up to unused space on a chart chip

I use a Lowrance natipath chip and there is plenty of extra space to backup my personal waypoints without harm as well as use it for firmware updates

Tommays

Tcrum5711

Seaman

Navionics says not to do it but I did it by accident once and the card still works just fine.

gonefishie

Commander

Depends on what you're trying to save. As long as the card have free space and the stuff you're saving have the same file format as the maps, you will be ok. I'm assuming you're talking about downloading info onto the card by using a computer. If the puter ask you if you wanna format the card, don't click yes cause if you do you be saying bye bye to the maps.

ECHO 1

Seaman Apprentice

I have a Hummingbird 787c2 witch has a snapshot feature that lets you take a JPEG image of the sonar screen and a way point of where you took it for later viewing. When tryimg do so the unit says it might damage the card. the card itself has a lock and unlock switch on it. So you think if it would damage it the card would be write protected. This is a $150 card.

tommays

Admiral

If it is LOCKED it will NOT let you write on it at all :)

The danger would come from saving a file( A123) that was the same as and existing file (A123) that might be your map :eek:

BUT a second blank SD card is so cheep i would pick one up if your doing it much

I really cant say what would happen if it was filled and you tryed to write on it ?

Tommays

gonefishie

Commander

That is a very cool feature. Sounded like you have to give Humminbird tech support a call, them ladies are awefully nice to talk to. They're hard to understand but they're just so nice, bless their heart.

ECHO 1

Seaman Apprentice

I know a second card would be cheap but it defeats the purpose. The snapshot would be nice at at instance when you see intresting objects on the sonar screen for a quick picture and save of the position with out unscrewing hte cover an replacing the card. Maybe I will try to call Navionics and see what they say. It just dont make sense to have a $750 sonar/gps that you can not take advantage of all it features. If I learn anything I will repost the outcome for any other's who are wondering.

ECHO 1

Seaman Apprentice

Update on saving files to a card, I emailed Navionics and this is what they replied.

Navionics recommends that no data is ever saved to the Navionics card as this can result in deletion and/or corruption of the data.