Navigation and Gauge Lights

TheSeasLife

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I lost Navigation lights and Gauge light last time out. I checked everything and all connections look good, fuses are all good unless I missed some fuse panels. Am I missing something? Is there a download for electical on here anywhere?

rs1lollie

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Navigation and Gauge Lights

What kind of boat and engine? My boat uses purple for batt. and black for ground, possibly one of those wires came off from a connection point as they dasie chain to every gauge light and rocker switch.

TheSeasLife

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I have a 1985 Searay 270 Sundancer with twin 470's.

Would that point be at battery or under switches? They are the only two that went out. I still have all other lights. Cabin, Deck, and Birth

TheSeasLife

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks RS1: This electical is a bit out of my criteria but I follow schematics pretty good. When pulling up panel I have a bowl of spaghetti. :D

All my switches are luminated. The two (nav/panel) switches do not light up either. So it will be power coming to switch? I have fuses in panel for every switch also. The fuses are all good.

rs1lollie

Petty Officer 2nd Class

yes you should have pwr coming to switches, along with wire that goes to item you are controlling with switch. try to follow wires from switch to see were they go to. if you have a volt meter you can test the switches to see if they are good. but if it only a certain block of things it my be a breaker somewhere. There maybe a fuse or breaker at the engine by the wire harness plug.

TheSeasLife

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks again. I have a cluster of switches. Only 2 don't work, would it still be breaker? I have not seen anything like that in motor compartment. Sorry for so many ?'s I am new at big boat life..I am learning fast though.:rolleyes:

rs1lollie

Petty Officer 2nd Class

they moved it to the electronics secetion, scrool down on main form page. no then it would not be a breaker, sorry I misunderstood you. So you are saying that the 2 switches 1 for nav lights and 1 for interment panel don't work, correct?
did you ever try to trace wires from switch and see where they go??

TheSeasLife

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I started to. It looks like a bowl of spaghetti. I was saying in last post that all my switches light up when on. They do not light so I am thinking it lack of power to switch. Thx

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

All of the switches that are supposed to light up have a ground connection on them. That terminal is the ground for the internal light in the switch but has absolutely nothing to do with the item that switch controls. If a switch works but the indicator does not come on, that says you have +12 volts into the switch and to the device, but the ground is missing or the actual indicator is burned out.