nav/anchor lights

vegard

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I am getting ready to wire up my boat... and I dont want to screw up. I know all the basics, I just have a question about the nav/anchor lights. I am using push/pull switches and I understand that two position swithces are used for the lights. I have a red/green bow light, and a pole mount all-around light in the stern. How does this wire up?<br /><br />Essentially, my quesion is which lights should be on during navigation and which during anchor and do I have the required lights (its a 17 foot OB). Thanks

SlowlySinking

Master Chief Petty Officer
Re: nav/anchor lights

Hi vegard, here's the "basics", during darkness and during limited visibility and while underway you need the bow RED/GREEN, and the rear all round WHITE light ON. When at anchor all you need is the all round WHITE light ON. Using the following instructions and wire it like this, you will need one SPDT switch, that's a single pole, double throw switch. It can be click up, click down, and stays in the center or click up click down and no center. The first choice switch allows you to turn all lights off. Assuming you use the first choice switch and looking at the back of the switch you will see 6 terminals, with 3 terminals on the left and 3 on the right connect 12 volts to both center terminals, then connect a jumper wire from the upper left corner terminal to the lower right corner terminal and out to your WHITE light. Then connect the upper right corner terminal out to your RED/GREEN bow light. Remember your ground connections on all lights. That's it. Here's what happens, in the upper position all 3 lights go on, in the lower position only the WHITE light goes on and the center position turns all lights off. Good luck, Ken

snapperbait

Vice Admiral

While navigting you must have both the red/green bow light and the the stern light on.... At anchor only the stern light needs to be on...<br /><br />You'll need a meter to test the switch to find the correct pole to connect each light to... The first detent/position of the switch would be for the anchor light... The second detent/position would be for nav lights... <br /><br />To check the switch, put the switch in the first position which would be "anchor" and check for continuity between two poles only..<br /><br /> Then put the switch in the second position for "navigation"... You should have continuity between all three poles on the switch... <br /><br />You might need to add a diode in the circut, but with the push-pull switch I don't think you'll need to add a diode, but if you do I can show you how to wire it up... No biggie! ;)

vegard

Petty Officer 2nd Class

OK, I understand. Thanks for your help.

scamper

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Be sure while at anchor that your stern light is high enough to be visible 360 degrees.

Jason Adam

Cadet

scamper, is right, except its not a "stern light". Your Anchor light(which is also lit while underway) needs to be white light viewable from 360 degrees. Usually a "Stern light" is a flush mount light recessed on the transom viewable from only the rear. What you are required to have is commonly refered to as a "all around light", "anchor light", or "mast light". "Stern Lights" are only required on boats over 26'. <br /><br />Good diagrams on this site: http://www.usps.org/localusps/tulsa/uscoastguardsafety.htm

MrBill

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I'd like to take a minute and let folks know about the importance of a proper anchor light. Most anchor lights (maybe all) are visible 360 degrees when they are mounted VERTICALLY. The type that is not lit on the bottom half of the sphere or elongated bulb may not be visible 360 degrees if mounted at an angle, as most are.<br /><br />I found this out first hand by experiencing a near disaster. While out last July at night anchored in the middle of the lake, had the music on, along with the anchor light. A pontoon boat was approaching toward the bow straight at us at about 25 MPH, first noticed him at about 200 yards away. By the time he was 100 yards away he hadn't changed course and we realized he did not see us. We jumped up, yelled, screamed and blasted the horn just in time to avoid disaster. No time to start the engine and move, we could have been swimming, etc ,etc. He missed us by only a few yards, but stopped to tell us, and show us, that our light was not visible due to the type of light, mounting angle and his direction of approach. Myself and my friend (owner of the 21 foot Crownline we were aboard) went out on this guys 'toon to see for ourselves. Sure enough, the half-globe light (opaque on the bottom, bright only on the top half) could not be seen due to the mount angle and direction of approach. This anchor light is the standard equipment provided on my friend's 2002 Crownline. Make no assumptions !!!!