Nauticus Smart Tabs

Hey Guys,<br /><br />I wanted to find out if anyone out there has tried Nauticus Smart Tabs. There web site is: www.nauticusinc.com. They have a "trim tab" type product that seems like it would be pretty good for my boat (18' Fish/Ski w/ Merc I/O). You cannot control them from inside the boat, the "smart" adjuster uses the lift from the water to move them up and down.<br /><br />They said that it will increase time to plane by 33%, but all I'm really trying to do is level out the ride so that I don't have to reposition people in the boat to balance it out as much.<br /><br />Let me know what you think if anybody has tried these. They are less than half the price of the cheapest trim tabs that I have looked at for my application.<br /><br />CP

JerseyJim

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Nauticus Smart Tabs

It will reduce the minimum planing speed by 33% <br /> ....not INCREASE<br /><br />i have heard great things about these tabs....i personally like gadgets and switches, so bennetts sound like much more fun to me =)

Gunny77

Cadet

I am no expert on the subject, but I am about to purchase a set of Smart Tabs for my 180LS Stingray. From what I have researched, Self adjusting tabs work great on boats 25 ft and less, the bigger boats require the ability to adjust the tabs mainly for balance and plane without shifting loads all the time.

Mikedg

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I just installed a set on my 10.5' inflatable with a 9.9 last weekend. They work great! Prior to installing the Smart Tabs I had a Dolfin and the boat still shot for the sky coming onto plane and took quite a while. With the Smart Tabs the dinghy pops right up on plane, stays on plane at a lower speed and runs at a flatter attitude and handles small chop much better. I Highly recommend them.

Cobotr

Seaman

"but all I'm really trying to do is level out the ride so that I don't have to reposition people in the boat to balance it out as much."<br /><br />They won't do that. The Smart Tabs are preloaded to apply a downward force (greater at low speeds) that helps the boat get up on plane faster. Downside is that they are not capable of adjusting for load shifts, such as where people move to in the boat. They are also in a downward position when you are at low speeds, which under some circumstances can be very unwanted (such as reverse and following sea).<br /><br />In order to adjust for people movement or placement you'll need regular trim tabs such as electric (Lenco) or hydrolic (Bennetts) tabs.

rdmoore

Cadet

Destiny, Go to another question on this site, "New Sea Pro porpoising" I posted a long and detailed note about my experience with smart tabs there. I guess the comment about not fixing listing may have some merit, but that was not my problem. I have not noticed any problems backing up either, even though I could see a potential problem if you tried to go in reverse quite fast. I sent Gunny77 some pictures of them on my boat, since he is having the exact same problems I first encountered too, (same boat), let me know if you need to see them. I am curious to see if Gunny77 has the same positive results I did. <br />BTW - No, I do not work for the company. RDM

suzukidave

Petty Officer 1st Class

CobotR, sorry to disagree but from personal experience they do significantly level out your ride and do compensate for uneven loading. They are gas shocks exerting downward pressure on both sides of the hull. Unless you overload to the point of overwhelming the shock (which I haven't managed to do yet), they will compensate for an uneven load. I have smart tabs on a 16' deep v that used to list with an uneven load (e.g., 3 people). It does not anymore.<br /><br />Basically smart tabs are the best money I ever spent on an accessory for this boat. The improvement in overall performance was amazing.<br /><br />Other benefits<br />-my top WOT speed increased by 3-5 mph depending on the prop.<br />-I now turn much tighter and without going off plane<br />-I can plane at much lower speeds<br />--I suck up most wakes when crossing them<br />--I don't pound as much in lighter seas<br /><br />The only downside is that they hold your nose down so I suspect that in a heavy sea this might slow you down or become a worry. However after a full season on them last year in enclosed salt water (no ocean swells) I did not find that even in a short 4' chop which is ugly.

Dunaruna

Admiral

You've dredged up an old thread with this one!<br /><br />I didn't know Nauticus used composite materials, why would you need anodes for composite?<br /><br />I just went to their website, seems to be working fine. <br /><br />I'm sure John will be along to answer your questions or you can try this, I C&P from their website.<br /><br />TECHNICAL SUPPORT & CUSTOMER SERVICE Call: 1-800-233-0194<br /><br />Sales & Marketing: 8080 Snowville Rd. Brecksville, Ohio 44141<br />Executive Offices: Lepri, 8775 Olde Eight Rd., Northfield Center, OH 44067<br />Tel: 440-746-1290, Toll Free: 800-233-0194, Fax: 440-746-1291 <br />E-mail: info@nauticusinc.com <br /><br />Aldo<br /><br />P.S. What do you hope to gain by posting the same thing 5 times?

fireman57

Captain

Nexus you may have soothed your anger with these multiple postings of your rant but in the end it just wasted space. NautiJohn will handle any complaint you have if you give him the chance. I see that you now have ten posts - 5 of them are repeats. I'm glad that you have spent enough time on this forum to become acquainted with the people that are on it. I'm no expert by any means but I like to think that I'm mature enough to post my concerns once and give the company or individual a chance to address my concerns.

JasonB

Lieutenant

Nexus, sorry you didn't get a properly packed product, but before you go blasting the company, give John a call at the FREE number and I bet he will make it right. I have spoken with him when I ordered my tabs and he was a very reasonable and extremely helpful guy. I walked away feeling like I had received excellent service. I don't know him personally and haven't spoken to him since I made my purchase, but I'm betting he will get you fixed up in a matter of minutes if you'll let him know.<br /><br />Mistakes happen, what really matters is how the company deals with it when you contact them and give them a chance to correct it.<br /><br />If they don't correct it, then you have a good complaint.<br /><br />As for the lack of assembly, My tabs were more expensive than yours and I had to assemble them. Took all of 5 minutes. Things are generally shippen unassembled so they pack tighter and keep costs down.

rwidman

Lieutenant

I installed Smart Tabs on my previous boat, a Stingray 18' bowrider and they made a significant improvement in steering at no-wake speeds and in getting on and remaining on plane. Owners on the Stingray forum recommended them. I spoke with John to get the correct size and he was friendly and helpful.<br /><br /><br />nexus, <br />As for paying $100.00 and having to assemble it, what else have you purchased lately? A bicycle? Exercise equipment? A gas grill?<br /><br />Did you purchase the tabs directly from Nauticus or from a vendor? If from a vendor, they may have sold you a set that was returned by a previous customer after being opened.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

oh boy.<br /><br />Poof !<br /><br />I mean, "locked."