National Cat Flinging Day

jtexas

Fleet Admiral
Okay one more interesting thing to do with cats: <br /><br />Bruges (sometimes spelled Brugge), Belgium was a major textile trading center during the European renaissance. Huge warehouses full of cloth meant a serious rodent problem, which they controlled with cats. Whenever the inventory was depleted they had a surplus of cats. Solution: a Cat Flinging Festival. Every other year, on Ascension Day, they carried hundreds of cats 350 feet up into the bell tower and flung them to the crowds below.<br /><br />They still have the Cat Flinging, but now it's stuffed cats. The wife & I visited Brugge a few years ago, but sadly we were on the off-year. It's a remarkable town, known as the best-preserved medieval town in Europe. They have one of the only Michelangelo sculptures outside of Italy in their cathedral. Best beers in the world are made in Belgium.

neumanns

Lieutenant Commander
Re: National Cat Flinging Day

That is one crowd I would rather not be in; Yeoch that has gotta hurt being caught by a cat claw trying to slow himself down.

gonfishn

Commander

Hey isn't that cat flinging thing very similar to Prarie Dog Fishn Barlow.. :D

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Reminds me of WKRP the TV show where the news caster Les dropped live turkeys from the helicopter..... and they didn't fly. I could see the carnage. I have a cat that weighs 17 lbs and at 350 feet.... he would be toast.

eeboater

Commander

Sounds evil. I'm no tree hugger, but I do own two cats. You have to be a certain kind of crazy to even think about doing that.

62_Kiwi

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Ouch - sounds painful to be on the receiving end of a flying cat! :eek: <br /><br />I went to Brugges(sp) about 20 years ago while on a business trip - a beautiful (ancient) old place. They say that during WWII when the Nazis were overrunning Holland and Belgium, the locals did a deal with them in order that none of the ancient city would be damaged by bombs and warware. <br /><br />A great place to see if you're ever in the area.

Barlow

Lieutenant Commander

Originally posted by gonfishn:<br /> Hey isn't that cat flinging thing very similar to Prarie Dog Fishn Barlow.. :D
hmmmmmmmmm...... I'd say a little bit.. :D

KennyKenCan

Commander

Yeah, thats like the cat juggling in Mexico City during the '70's!<br /><br />What a great sport!<br /><br />And, they still taste like chicken!!

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral

Hey Ken, does you KKC stand for Kooked Kitty Cat?<br /><br />It is ashame that we can't send the hydes to asian countries for them to use. Would be an income for some here in the US. <br /><br />While in the military one thing I noticed about the communities where the asians lived. You never saw stray cats or dogs running around. To them your pet is very tasty!

gonfishn

Commander

And here I thought Prarie Dog fishn was the in thing...From the look of some of these threads today i can tell spring must be right around the corner..You just ain't right KKC..

KennyKenCan

Commander

Or, it could mean "Kenny Kills Cats"!<br /><br />Yeah gonfishn, I'm not all here today. As a matter of fact, I haven't been here all week! <br /><br />My mind is wandering...<br /><br />someone please make it come back, I miss it so...