Nasty bug

Kalian

Chief Petty Officer
Hey folks, I was wondering what kind of "creeping crud" is going around your areas. I have been sick for about 3 weeks, and the symptoms are mild cough with mild bronchitis. My wife has had the same thing for over a month, same symptoms but more severe. My 3 kids have been sick for some time as well. The nurse who was asigned to my wife had it, and she said it's been going around. My brother has got the same thing(over a month now) and many people at his church do as well.<br /> I realize it's the flu season, but this seems like an awfuly long time to be sick. I was wondering if this same thing is going around in other states besides Ca.<br /> I can't get much info from the quacks I mean doctors around here, most of them don't speak english well enough to understand anyway.

heycods

Captain
Re: Nasty bug

Wife and I had it last fall, It ran rampant around here in Oct. Nov, and Jan. It lasted 2 mos. for wife, 3 weeks for me. Dr. s said it wasnt flu. All the old folks in the rest homes that got it wound up wwith phneumonia. I guess we can call it the winter of the Bad Bug.

SpinnerBait_Nut

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

We are well(insert knocking on wood sound here) and we are out in the weather every night.<br />Plus this crazy weather, 70 one day and 30 the next is enough to get anyone sick, but like I said, we have been lucky.<br /><br />Come on spring.

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral

Yo-yo climate can put a strain on anybodys immune system. Best precaution is to keep your hands washed frequently and keeping them away from your face. <br /><br />Since my kids are out of the house and the wife and I very rarely just go out into the public. We haven't been hit with the local bug nearly as often. <br /><br />I hate big schools, one infected kid can infect others eventually spreading it to the whole community. Yep, lets keep making them schools bigger and making them more impersonal. Could be looked as a breeding grounds for job security for the health profession. :eek:

BoatBuoy

Rear Admiral

Same here. I'm about over mine(1 month). The wife's got it and not getting better (1 month). She's been through a round of Biaxin and now on Leviquin.

rolmops

Vice Admiral

Could it be that the bug is immune to anti biotics and we have to get better under our own power?

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral

Correct me if I'm wrong (my nurse is still sleeping), but a viral infection needs to just run it course while a bacterial infection needs antibiotics. Taking antibiotics for a viral infection can do more harm to you for future bacterial infections.

EZLoader

Chief Petty Officer

A couple of years ago I had a persistent cough and bronchitus until someone told me to have it checked out as a "sinus infection." I did and it was. I did the first anti-biotic for two weeks but it didn't take so they gave me a different one that did. It cured the problem right away and I have had clear lungs ever since.<br /><br />I read where 25-35% of people have some sort of sinus infection without ever knowing it. That's scary since it takes anti-biotics to cure it.

Ron G

Commander

Very true ss,its more with the sinuses i think,i had it for 2 months finally got over it and then ended up with plurasy :( just now getting over that man thats some painful sh#t there.Off the subject a little but people are going to have to stop taking these antibotics for every little aligment or we aint going to have nothing to fight off the bad stuff with.And talking about washing hands SS knows what i mean being married to a nurse,i now wash my hands constsntly just picked it up after her.

heycods

Captain

SS you and Ron have my sympathys, being married to a nurse, Sometimes they Doctor us to death. ;) :D <br /><br />My wife is a surgery nurse, after the neck surgery(2 weeks) she wouldnt even let me run the backhoe.She said I at least should be wearing my neck brace. ;) :D

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral

I gotta be honest, she is not a nurse yet, she has 2 more quarters and then her clinicals. About 2 years to go yet, but she is "my" nurse. :D <br /><br />BTW, she makes me carry bandaids in my wallet......yep, used quiet a few also! :p

heycods

Captain

Yep thats a nurse, wont even let a fellow bleed on his own. ;) :D

Ron G

Commander

When im real sick she's like that,but for a cold or not feeling good there's no sympothy,heycods your wife got a cool job alot of stress there but busy.SS is an lpn or going for her RN either way nurses are the backbone,my wifes an lpn we got all her books for the rn just got to get her started.

fireship1

Chief Petty Officer

Best advise is to get a flu shot every year. I never used to until this year. First time during flu season that I didn't get sick. As long as you don't have allergies to eggs (they use chicken eggs to grow the vaccine) you won't get any side effects. The biggest complaint is your arm is sore for a day or two. You can still get the flu, but your chances are reduced. I'll take all the help I can get. I work at an airport where colds and flu's run rampant. People always sneezing and coughing all over the place.