NASCAR TODAY

D

DJ

Would someone tell these idiots, from NBC, that there are a couple other cars in the race except Dale Jr. and J. Gordon? Commercials. Dale this, Dale that-Bla, bla, bla.. I have something for Dale. Hey Dale, How about a "winning" car. ;) :p <br /><br />Neither of which is in the top ten, in the race, or points. <br /><br />Man, I miss Fox coverage. At least they knew there were more than two cars in the race.<br /><br /> :mad: :mad: :mad:

Pony

Rear Admiral
Re: NASCAR TODAY

I miss fox because of DW!!! he makes it what it is.

BoatBuoy

Rear Admiral

Agreed. Fox does a better job and DW is an act all on his own. However, I heard Jr mentioned a lot by them also. Why the fascination with him?

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Well, I am sick of NASCAR in general and Nextel cup in particular.<br /><br />The only cracks in their avalanche of self promotion and attempts to convert a few decent drivers into major celebrities are that the NASCAR Channel (formerly the Speed Channel) is filling it's contract to cover ALMS and F1 races. NASCAR Nation, NASCAR reruns from 2004, Wind Tunnel, NASCAR this and NASCAR that. . . I am sick of it.<br /><br />Cover major races, Bush Series, etc., but LAY OFF all the self promotion!<br /><br />The obsession with tracking every move of the celebrity of the moment is just an example. Were I still a NASCAR driver I would be embarrassed by it all. Next they will have riots in the stands between the Dale, Jr. fans and the Jeff Gordon fans. All this while both languish in the pack and the guys up front are ignored.<br /><br />That is NOT what auto racing is about and NOT what race drivers are.<br /><br />For much of my life the only thing I would rather do than race cars was fish. Now I wont even watch NASCAR.<br /><br />We need a F1 Channel. :(

D

DJ

JB Wrote:<br /><br />
they will have riots in the stands between the Dale, Jr. fans and the Jeff Gordon fans.
Let it happen. Let them destroy each other. ;) The real fans will still be there. :) <br /><br />I'm TIRED of the worship of "Dr. Death"-Dale Sr. He was a dirty player, at best. But, he at least kept his mouth shut, unlike his idiot offspring.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

Another BIG problem (atleast on my tv) is that nbc can't seem to manage their sound levels worth a shjt.<br /><br />On any other channel, any form of racing, you can still hear the announcers. On nbc, the incar and trackside audio is at the same level as the announcers.<br /><br />""He was a dirty player, at best. ""<br /><br />Ditto.

willamettejeff

Chief Petty Officer

I've gotten to where I won't even watch Nascar unless I've prerecorded the first hour and a half or so on my TIVO. This allows be to skip all the prerace stuff and, believe it or not, just barely all of the commercials. The only way to watch it nowadays, IMHO, other than actually going to the race. I miss the good old days before it got so big and so full of itself, and back when an average family could afford to attend a race.<br /><br />I would agree with those who are tired of all the attention paid to Dale Jr. He is nothing of the racer and racing organization builder/owner that his father was. And as for Dale Sr. being a dirty player, that was racing back then before Nascar got so commercialized and the sanctioning body so over controlling and heavy handed. But, fear not, there are still the likes of Tony Stewart and Kevin Harwick to carry on the "dirty player" montra. I sure miss the good old days of racers telling us how they really feel about another driver or showing us on the race track. Other than wrecks that was the real fun of watching a race. Oh, and of course, the car that won. :)

PW2

Commander

It's just boring to watch them for any period of time drive around in a circle. Especially boring to keep learning how they seem to be unable to set up the cars (Too loose, Too tight, who cares?)<br /><br />F1, and even Champ Cars are real racing. NASCAR is just a glorified parade.

KaGee

Admiral

F1, and even Champ Cars are real racing.
Guess that's why both are such a success in the USA. :rolleyes: <br /><br />Remember when the naysayers said the IRL had two chances... slim and none.<br /><br />NBC sucks all right, but there is no way FOX is going to give up their baseball contracts. That's what causes the whole deal in the first place.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

Originally posted by PW2:<br /> <br />F1, and even Champ Cars are real racing. NASCAR is just a glorified parade.
No, WRC is real racing. as are the isle of Mann TT.

QC

Supreme Mariner

I TiVO every race. It does make it work, but I would watch live still. The main reason I TiVO is family shcedule stuff and commercials.<br /><br />Yes, FOX before NBC. Last night Benny thought the 41 car was out of control when Mears was simply "testing" the suspension etc. by moving the wheel back and forth. I never understoomd Bestwick, at least they moved hiom to trackside. Weber .. . hmmmmm, sounds like he thinks he is a poet or something as opposed to a NASCAR announcer. I like Wally though. He'll straighten out the stupidity and he at least knows about a modern car.<br /><br />NASCAR is currently my only serious sports addiction. No strikes, still reasonably good role models, the sponsor role assures that no one can get really out of control like some other sports stars. I am completely done with Basketball, too many rules and way too many idiots. Football, Ditto. I still love Baseball as long as it doesn't migrate any closer to the afforementioned . . . Soccer, yeah right. ;)

neumanns

Lieutenant Commander

Rally car!!! Course I only get to watch the race recap on speed but....way cool.