Nanking Trailer Tires

tscott

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Local Chain of tires stores in St. Louis sells a Load Range C Radial ST trailer tire called "Nanking Loadmaster"<br /><br />I can't seem to find out anything about these tires.They are $63 mounted.<br /><br />Anybody heard of this brand or know anything about them?Price sounds good but don't know anything about the tire.<br /><br />Any help appreciated.<br /><br />One other thing.I noticed on alot of posts that people air trailer tires up to the max psi rating.Even radials.I generally go upto about 45lbs. on Load Range C tires.Should I air to 50psi? My stratos 290 s/f has a 200hp evinrude and it's a single axle trailer with surge brakes.Load range D would be better but in a 14" rim,the only thing I can get it in is a LT tire.<br /><br />Once again,any help appreciated.<br /><br /> :D

tpatwil

Cadet
Re: Nanking Trailer Tires

Tire Mart in downtown STL has a Carlisle brand of Load Range D<br />I think it is called USA TRAIL was about 60 bucks<br />I took the rims to wal Mart mounted balanced for $8 each<br />WalMArt /Sams carries the same tire, little more<br />Look good after 4 seasons <br />always have spare - tire and bearings handy <br /><br />TIM

ndemge

Commander

Howdy.... I'm also from st. louis area..<br />just thout I'd say hi to the locals

mlslocks

Seaman Apprentice

You wrote Radial ST. I think St is Bias. Check your trailer for max PSI. My Load Rite has the recomended pressure marked on the weight tag.

Tinkerer

Senior Chief Petty Officer

The lower the tyre pressure = the softer the ride = the more tyre flex = the more heat + less grip. Higher reverses all that. I run my car tyres at 34 psi (manufacturer recommends 26). Firmer ride with more noise, but ensures the tyres do what they're supposed to: stick on corners and braking. Run 60 psi trailer at 60.

Boatist

Rear Admiral

ST does not mean Bias ply, it only means it is a trailer tire not a passenger tire. A Radial tire will have a R in the number like ST215/75R14.<br />ST = trailer tire, 215 = metric width of tire, 75 = 75% as high as is wide, R = Radial tire, 14 = wheel size.<br />Inflation pressure really should be set for weight, but if you inflate to max cold setting will not hurt the tire. Too high a pressure may mean does not get as much traction and on bias ply tires can cause center of tire to wear faster then edges, but with radials I have not seen the center wear. Pressure too low means tire will run hot side wall will flex alot and can cause tread to seperate.

rudeafrican

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hi stratos,<br /><br />Here in SA, we get the Nankang not Nanking. (possibly spelt incorrectly?) I've used them for over 65000 km's on my VW Microbus without any hassles.

tscott

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Hi guys.Thanks for all the info. These are radial trailer tires.(Very few people sell bias tires in St. Louis.)I think it was Nanking but It might have been Nanking. Maybe this is a new tire type for them.<br />The were load range c, 50psi,st tires at Dobbs auto center in Chesterfield by Wal-mart.(For all the good folks in St. Louis)<br />Just put wheel bearings on my trailer.(First time I've done it and wheel turns pretty easy so hope I got it right.I made the outer nut as tight as I could get it with my fingers.I think that is correct.)<br />Anyway, I think I'll try those Nanking Loadmasters and see how they do.<br /><br />Thanks for all the info guys.