Naming a boat

dkhntr

Seaman
We had just got a used boat for our family's first boat. It is a 16' starliner. My wife was toying with the idea of naming it. I was wondering just what other people thought of naming older boats. She wanted to name it JAYELSEA that is her 'net nick. (her initials spelt out: JLC)<br /><br />~Chris

D

DJ

Re: Naming a boat

dkhntr,<br /><br />Works for me. The best part about is: it's original and means something to you.

dkhntr

Seaman

Thanks guy, And pursuit, Good idea, I also recieved a 1 yr subscription. BTW, I do not believe that this boat has ever been named. I have looked from head to toe and no glue marks or anything.<br /><br />~Chris

Pursuit2150

Chief Petty Officer

dkhntr- Great now all you have to do is name it, gas it< and enjoy! Good luck, take care, have fun

TxRiverRat

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Personally, i think when you name a boat it should have some reference to the boat as well as the owners, or your favorite place. Many boat names make a play on words. In my case, my boat, the Texas River Rat made reference to the state we live in and where we liked to boat. It later became an internet screen name for me as well.

C17LoadSmasher

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I agree with TxRiverRat... I named mine 'Per Diem' because that is what is basically paying for it, plus it is unique. Funny thing though.. I was very surprised how many people don't know what Per Diem is...<br /><br />--Chris

TxRiverRat

Petty Officer 2nd Class

C17, That's hillarious! Is your company hiring? LOL - I need a per diem again!

wilsonjg

Cadet

I've had two strokes.............named my boat "dain bramage". I love it but my wife hates it.

letsbarbq

Petty Officer 1st Class

dkhntr,<br /><br />naming the boat is the fun part, that way you really get attached. My screen name is letsbarbq - but not because i have a grill pit hanging off the side of my boat. But people love it when they see it just grillin away in the middle of the waters.<br /><br />I've just ordered my name for my little boat. Call it,<br /><br />"Rough Rider" -- like river rat said, its kinda like me alittle and alot like my boat taking on the waves.<br /><br />I still like LetsBarBQ.

DKrobertson

Recruit

For you superstitious types....it's widely regarded as bad luck to rename a boat after it has already been named....even if you are the new owner and didn't originally name it.

Pursuit2150

Chief Petty Officer

Dkrobertson-Read my post of 2/17/02, and go to the site.It tells you how to re-name.

dkhntr

Seaman

dkrobertson, The boat I had purchased hasn't been named at all. What about an old boat with no name?<br /><br />~Chris

Fishcamp

Cadet

Had a boss once who named his boat "Business" I wondered about the name until I heard his secretary answer the phone one day and said "no sir, he's not in. He's out of the office on "Business".

TxRiverRat

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Fishcamp,<br /><br />That's a ****ed good idea. <br /><br />it reminds me of when they had a contest at my company to name the new system. My Acromyn was A.S.S. - nevermind what it stands for, I was just imagining the cool things you could say to the help desk guys when you need help:<br /><br />1. Hi, my ass just went down - can you help?<br />2. My ass just exploded, what's going on here?<br />3. Hi, I'm having a little trouble with my ass....<br />4. (To a coworker) Hey, nice ass!<br />5. My local ass is just too big, what can I do to make it smaller? :D <br /><br /> :D :D :D :D

f_inscreenname

Commander

Fishcamp <br />There used to be a bar on the island called "No Place" so the Capts would not have to lie to there wives. M

tautog27

Seaman

That sounds like a bar in Chapel Hill that I used to frequent in college called "He's not Here." When anyone would call the bar, they would answer the phone He's Not Here. RF

62_Kiwi

Lieutenant Junior Grade

...yes, there's a bar down the road from here called "The Office" - very handy. ;)