Naming a boat...state regulations?

thepotroast

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Is there a legal process in naming a small boat, for example if I hire a painter to write a name on the stern, followed by my city/state...do I need to have this registered with the state? This will be on a 17' open bow family boat.

I am in North Carolina :)

jpmurphy

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Naming a boat...state regulations?

I've done a lot of surfing researching boat names/letter kits, picture galleries etc.
Also have researched my state's official boating & fishing site (Kansas) and have seen nothing making reference to "registering" a boat's name. This is for freshwater.

I have a copy of the USCG boat inspection form and it makes to reference whatsoever to a boat's name. I'm thinking there is no requirement to register a name as far as land locked fresh water is concerned.

As for the salt water boaters, that may be a different story. I do not know so I won't venture any thoughts in that area.

thepotroast

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I've done a lot of surfing researching boat names/letter kits, picture galleries etc.
Also have researched my state's official boating & fishing site (Kansas) and have seen nothing making reference to "registering" a boat's name. This is for freshwater.

I have a copy of the USCG boat inspection form and it makes to reference whatsoever to a boat's name. I'm thinking there is no requirement to register a name as far as land locked fresh water is concerned.

As for the salt water boaters, that may be a different story. I do not know so I won't venture any thoughts in that area.

Thanks! I will be using a mix of both fresh and salt due to my location on the coast of NC. My boss lives on a 60' yacht, and I know his is named...I should check with him on the regulations to see if there are any, perhaps there are exclusions for small(er) crafts. :confused:

jpmurphy

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks! I will be using a mix of both fresh and salt due to my location on the coast of NC. My boss lives on a 60' yacht, and I know his is named...I should check with him on the regulations to see if there are any, perhaps there are exclusions for small(er) crafts. :confused:

He may very well be your best resource. I've never done salt water in a personal craft but in the flicks they always say "Rad Sails calling US Coast Guard" etc etc etc etc. Maybe that's just hollywierd stuff. :rolleyes:

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

the only regs are if you are documenting the boat. for going to other countries.

tmcalavy

Rear Admiral

Varies by state I think...check with whichever agency registers boats in your state and the local/nearest USCG station.

Bondo

Staff member

Is there a legal process in naming a small boat,

No,...

Only when documenting a vessel as stated by TD......

thepotroast

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks for the great answers! As others have said here, my boss (who is a registered tug captain, etc)...said there won't be anything I need to do to slap some vinyl lettering on the stern on the boat with it's name on it.

Thanks all ;)

Floatsum

Petty Officer 2nd Class

In R.I. for smaller boats the name can be added onto your registration. However, it means nothing. you still get recognized as a boat number and they must be displayed in 3" block on the forward half of boat.

triumphrick

Lieutenant Commander

Interesting topic....here in Florida, when I monitor radio traffic, I always hear the Coast Guard ask the vessel captain the vessels name. Also, it seems popular to name your vessel as well. I have named all my boats after my daughter, fancy vinyl lettering and all!

Rocky_Road

Lieutenant Commander

Interesting topic....here in Florida, when I monitor radio traffic, I always hear the Coast Guard ask the vessel captain the vessels name. Also, it seems popular to name your vessel as well. I have named all my boats after my daughter, fancy vinyl lettering and all!

When I was doing search and rescue (USCG) from Miami in the '60s...we always tried to get the vessel's name, to facilitate the communications. It is extremely burdensome to use the registration numbers for each transmission.

Oh, yeah...we also had a 'list' of suspected drug runner's boat names....

seaman campbell

Chief Petty Officer

North Carolina has no regulation concerning the naming of a vessel. You can read all the regulations for our state by visiting NC Wildlife Just be sure you know what the rules are, the wildlife officers have no pity on you and ignorance of the law is no excuse.

TC

Oh yeah, Welcome to iboats. :D

mthieme

Captain

No regs in MD.
Just don't name it 'May Day'