nadaguides / true value ?

mrbarth

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hi,<br /><br />just found a link to nadaguides in this forum and checked my engine. <br />For my one :<br />1991 JOHNSON J90TLAI <br />it quotes prices from <br />low: 910$ to avg: 1085$<br /><br />WHo is selling at these prices ??? <br />is this the true value ? <br />e.x. if you would have to throw spare parts on it for let's say 1200$, would you prefer to buy a "new" used one ?<br /><br />Thanks for your opinions

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: nadaguides / true value ?

Those numbers are derived by a depreciation schedule, BRF.<br /><br />They don't take into account season, location, or actual market for very popular vs. not popular makes/models.<br /><br />I think I would rather spend $1200 on a known very good engine than spend, say, $1,000 on a 14 year old engine of unknown condition to replace it.<br /><br />Good luck. :)

alcan

Commander

Hi boats<br /> True value is always determined between the buyer and seller. An item is only worth what you can get for it when you need to sell it. I personaly find the NADA guides a tad on the low side for the area that I live. This my not be true else where. NADA is only a guide. Also remember that most new outboards take a lot of depreciation in the first few years. Your motor is 14 years old, an AVERAGE price of $1,100 seems fairly close to me for a used 90hp. As far as the cost maintaining your motor to the tune of lets say $1,200. I tend to be more comfortable with the devil I know, in most cases. If you just go buy another used outboard from John Q you will probably end up dumping in the $1,200 anyway and maybe another grand for good measure.

nightstalker

Chief Petty Officer

I go with NADA for cars and cycles but not my outboards. The market is determined not by depreciation but rather by how she looks and runs.<br />Stalker

mrbarth

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thank you all for the advice.<br /><br />Although it makes sense to buy a good used one instead of dumping 1200$ on some rotten thing,<br />I probably go on spending some money on the "the devil I know" :) .

Winger Ed.

Chief Petty Officer

The folks who write that are doing it for a national average between dealers who really don't want to give you scrap weight price for your trade in, or what they'll deduct from the overpriced new boat you're trying to buy and save a few bucks on with your trade in, <br /><br />,,,and what you may expect to sell your old boat for, to the guy a few blocks over... <br /><br />But to check the accuracy of their estimate--<br /><br />The only way to be sure is to hang a 'For Sale' sign on your rig and see what it brings......

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

all dependson if I am buying it or selling it. I will warrenty that you wont find a "good" running 90 hp with T&T in uncorroded decent shape for 1200

swist

Senior Chief Petty Officer

NADA is all actuarial statistics. With boat stuff thy don't have enough data (compared to cars) to get statistical accuracy, so as someone said, they just run some sort of depreciation schedule. <br /><br />I'm always amused by people why cry being screwed because they had to sell their car/boat/motor for "way below what it's worth" - again, what the guy earlier said, the value of something is what you can get for it. If no one will buy your $650,000 Hatteras, it's worth zero.

mrbarth

Petty Officer 2nd Class

thanks guys,<br /><br />yes, I was checking thru used boat and boatengine pages, and there was nothing in the 90 hp areas near the 1200$ range at all (that I would trust), so I'll take rodbolts warranty for that and throw my money on my engine.

BillP

Captain

Last time I checked, NADA says the figures are based on sales prices reported by lending institutions. Where I live in Florida, every dealer pulls an NADA book out when negotiation starts for small boats and BUC for big boats.

BillP

Captain

Here's a note I received from NADA when asking about values...it's basically the same response I remember from years ago but this one is current...<br /><br />Bill,<br /><br />I am in receipt of your email regarding our valuations, thank you. I completely understand your question, even employees of NADA run into this statement from time to time. For example we hear that the values are not market reflective or we develop them with a dart board.<br /><br /> <br /><br />With that said, we collect, review and editorialize used sales reports from our advisory board members in the marine industry to develop valuations. Our advisory board is comprised of over 350 marine dealers and brokers across the United States. The area though where we might run into a bit of trouble is with exotic or limited production boats. For example, a 2002 90' Hatteras may not change hands for a few years, "Due to limited resale activity", we are unable to establish a used value. Our values are based on a national average but clearly there are products in great condition in the marketplace worth considerably more and conversely in bad condition worth considerably less. <br /><br /> <br /><br />This might also be the case with a Corsair Trimaran, we recognize and list them, but because there are not as many sold as say Bayliner it makes our job a bit harder. Although we do our best and please know if you run into any difficulties or would like us to review the marketplace and values we will more than happy to assist you if we can.<br /><br /> <br /><br />As a side note, we ship over 350,000 publications a month and very rarely hear of problems.<br /><br /> <br /><br />Please keep in mind that this is a National Average and the valuations might need to be adjusted for your marketplace and are intended to be used as a guideline. Also, you are looking at the consumer website which does not show the high values which could be as much as 15% higher.<br />Sincerely,<br />Troy D. Heidemann<br />Assistant Editor/Marine Division<br />N.A.D.A. Appraisal Guides<br />(714) 556-8511, ext. 261<br />theidemann@NADAguides.com

mrbarth

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks BillP, thats a lot of good information.<br />I printed the letter out in case it comes usefull<br />for selling or buying if you don't mind.