Nada Guide in comparing value?

Status
Not open for further replies.

turtle1173

Chief Petty Officer
I am redoing my 1971 Starcraft Super Sport. In the meantime, I am looking for a reliable newer outboard, preferably something in the 60-85HP range. I figured for my price range I can probably break into the early to mid '90's (which would be the newest motor I've ever had). So lately I have been seriously looking at a 1995 60HP Mercury. This is from a dealer and they are asking $1250. That doesn't seem like a bad price. Looking at the NADA guide shows that right at the "average retail" price, which is surprising because NADA is generally so low. OK, so I've also been looking at a 1996 88 SPL Johnson V4. The price on this one is in the $1600 neighborhood. I was surprised to look at NADA and see that they have the price for "average retail" at $765.

So, knowing that NADA does not represent true costs in the real world, does it indicate what is thought to be a better value? Which also leads me to ask of you all which of those 2 motors you would prefer? Would you take the Merc or the Johnson? Both are clean and seem to be in great shape.

Thanks

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Absolutely forget the nada for outboards....it never works but, it does list the weights.

That 88 special is prop rated HP and it will make that starcraft scoot along in the mid to high 40's. I am very partial to the V-4 Johnson/Evinrude and that is my choice for the performance and maintenance.

Hey make the guy a lower offer and see if he will bend....... negotiate!

Good Luck!

Dragster67

Recruit
$350 for an additional 28 horsepower? For me that's a no brainer. But, I'd definitely take my '76 Mercury 850 I4 that's on my '76 Super Sport 16. The Mercs are a tough motor and I like the looks of that generation Merc. For me, it is the Classic outboard look.
I grew up in Alaska and we used both the Johnson/Evinrude and the Mercs for our commercial fishing skiffs in Cook Inlet. They all did great both in the fresh water of the Kenai River and out in the mixed water at the mouth of the Kenai where it meets Cook Inlet. But, as I recall, it seemed like we had to work on the Johnson/Evinrudes more often than the Mercs. My experience.

Dragster67

Recruit
I know, I know! This thread is 8 years old. But, someone else may come across it, as I have, and find a small bit of advice for them to consider if they find themselves in this position.

Status
Not open for further replies.