MY2000 200 Yammy HPDI (Z200)

JerseyJim

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I am buying a used Parker 25 sport cabin with a MY2000 yamaha HPDI on the transom, installed in 2001 (boat is an 88). I have had the boat surveyed, and the engine compression is going to be tested prior to closing. The engine was installed in 2001, and the boat was laid up after that for the last 2 years, with approx 10 hours on the engine. Since I beleive this is the first MY of the HPDI, I was wondering if anyone else had problems with this MY of motors. <br /><br />I am hoping the HPDI is as trouble free as most yammys are - I am going to run charters on this boat and I need this motor to not give me headaches!<br /><br />Any suggestions are welcome. I have read some threads that mention using only yamalube - in my experiences yamalube is no different than west marine TCW3, but if it will save my engine, I will spend the extra 10$ a gallon on it.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: MY2000 200 Yammy HPDI (Z200)

Hi, Jim.<br /><br />I am sure Lube Dude will be here to expand on this, but:<br /><br />Direct injected engines have different needs than carbed or EFI 2 strokes. The fuel does not carry the lube into the crankcase or dilute it.<br /><br />I have not heard any horror stories about HPDI engines in particular, but a number of FICHT and OPTIMAX DFI engines have been diagnosed as blowing up from using TCW-3 oil, rather than recommended DFI oil.<br /><br />I would use only oil approved specifically by Yamaha for the HPDI engines.<br /><br />Good luck. :)