My wife made me buy it!

vintage2

Seaman Apprentice
I've been looking for an open bow outboard Starcraft for over a year. The other day while driving around my wife pointed to one with a For Sale sign on it. She made me turn around and look at it. Long story short, it now sits in my driveway. Its a
'73 18' SS. It had a 115 on it but I thought the guy wanted too much for the motor and he was really interested in keeping the motor anyway. The boat came with fishfinder, CB, VHF, and stero along with everything else needed to go boating (Except the motor). Even though he said the boat was solid the floors are soft (What a surprise!!!). Transom seems solid but I need to check it some more. It may contain moisture. Bottom seems strong with no dents and fair/good paint. Trailer is a '74 TeeNee. Tail lights don't work but the turn signals and stop lights do. Easy fix.

Now the questions. What is this boat's weight? I can't make out the capacity plate but can decipher a 140 with 1200 under that and further down 1900. Am I correct in assuming (I hate that word) that it means the max HP is 140 and the 1200 is maximum passenger weight with the 1900 being maximum with people, gear, and motor?

By the way the purchase price was $500.

Attachments

• DSCF3105.jpg
    DSCF3105.jpg
    143.9 KB · Views: 6
  • DSCF3108.jpg
    DSCF3108.jpg
    141.9 KB · Views: 6

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: My wife made me buy it!

Welcome to the Tin Crowd, vintage. According to the 1974 - no 1973 - brochure (here) Max hp is 140, dry wt. is 910 lbs. (no power) and max wt. is 1900 lbs. - 8 passengers + motor+ gear.

I think you got a decent boat for $500. Post more pics and the guys here have restored plenty of SS's. Have fun. BTW - you owe the wife - big time. :D

Last edited:

vintage2

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks for the info. I will send pics as I go, but they may be slow since I have a car resto underway also.

tpenfield

Staff member

I've been looking for an open bow outboard Starcraft for over a year. The other day while driving around my wife pointed to one with a For Sale sign on it. She made me turn around and look at it. Long story short, it now sits in my driveway.

I wish my wife made me do that when we drove past the Formula 311 last year !?!?

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Nice find. $500 is a decent price for a complete hull and a nice trailer. Those original Tee Nee trailers used some really nice beefy C channel. Whereabouts in PA are you?

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral

Good deal!
I really like the blue & white theme
What do you plan on hanging on her?

1973Chieftain

Lieutenant

Welcome to the Starmada! You have a special lady if she forces you to buy boats ;) :)

"The other day while driving around my wife pointed to one with a For Sale sign on it. She made me turn around and look at it."

A great buy and you are a very lucky man. My wife sees a boat for sale on the side of the road and she tells me to speed up.

barato2

Commander

1. welcome to the 'mada!
2. nice boat and a good buy @500
3. if floors is shot, i'd probably do the trsansom too just on principle
4. you have a very wonderful wife. keep her happy! name it after her, or your kids. etc you'll need the good will once the teardown starts and boat gets ugly. and a dozen roses in passenger seat for the splash.

vintage2

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks for the encouragement guys. Yes I do have a special girl (45 years this summer). I was surprised because this boat makes 3. My Sportcraft 270 Sportfisherman is already named after her, so I'll have to get creative on a name for this one. As for the engine, I don't know, somewhere in the 90 to 120 HP range I guess. Whatever I can get cheap.

InMotion

Commander

Vintage -- Congrats on the boat and the 45 years!!! Looks great. Nice little spring/summer project.

IM