My turn to rant

SpinnerBait_Nut

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Ok I don't have much to say most of the time, but I just want to rant a little.<br /><br />First off let me say I have the highest respect for our law enforcement people on the board.<br /><br />What gives with the police running anywhere from 20 to 40 mph faster than the posted speed limit just to go down the road and meet one of their buddies for chat or coffee.<br /><br />I kid you not, last night on my run, I was going down through town running 45MPH and a unmarked deputy car went by me like I was backing up, running at least 70 and we were in a 35MPH zone.<br />Got down to the local greasy spoon and there it sit along with another one and a city cop also.<br />They were all leaned up against their cars just having a good ol BS session.<br /><br />If it was one of us we would get a ticket.<br /><br />I think, IMO, that if they are going faster than say MPH over, they should have some sort of lights going.<br /><br />What if, poor ol grandma, which by now can't judge distance real well was to pull out in front of one of these hi-flyers, KABAAMMMM, I know what would happen and it ain't a pretty picture.<br /><br />I just don't like the law men that think that just because they have a badge and a police car, they can break the laws and we, the normal Joe, can't.<br /><br />I ain't saying all do it, but I have seen quite a few doing it and boys, it just ain't right.<br /><br />I would hate to think what would happen if one of us would get t-boned by one of them.<br />I know somehow, they would figure out a way to prove it was our fault.<br /><br />OK, I'm done now. :)

KennyKenCan

Commander
Re: My turn to rant

Right on SBN!<br /><br />But who is going to give a cop a ticket?<br /><br />Another cop?<br /><br />I don't think so.

JGREGORY

Lieutenant

Good one SBN agree whole heartedly, Our Governor's motorcade was travelling on 206 S. at an excessive rate of speed and ran a red light crashing into another motorist. Gov. McGreedy (Oops that's McGreevy) gets out of the car and hugs the woman telling her that everything will be alright, Gets into the pursuit car and drives off leaving the woman to get a ticket from the trooper who arrived on scene. If I can find the story I'll post it.

JGREGORY

Lieutenant

As promised I found the article<br /><br />LAWRENCE -- Three people were sent to the hospital yesterday afternoon when Gov. Jim McGreevey’s cruiser crashed into the side of a young woman’s Honda off Route 1 in Lawrence Township. <br /><br />The injuries were minor, but news helicopters hovering above proved it wasn’t an everyday accident scene.<br /><br /> <br />"He seemed like a nice person," an attendant at the Shell gas station at the intersection of Franklin Corner Road and Route 1 said of the governor. "He made sure everyone was OK."<br /><br />According to officials with the New Jersey State Police, McGreevey was on his way to the State House from the governor’s mansion in Princeton, when the accident occurred at 3:15 p.m.<br /><br />McGreevey was sitting in the back seat of his state-issued Buick Park Avenue as his driver, a state trooper, headed east on Franklin Corner Road.<br /><br />As the trooper approached the Route 1 intersection, a young woman driving a Honda passed into the path of the governor’s cruiser while trying to enter the service station, police said.<br /><br />McGreevey’s car crashed into the right front end of the girl’s car.<br /><br />"She was crying," the attendant recalled of the woman who was not identified.<br /><br />"(McGreevey) then put his arms around her and gave her a hug and told her it was going to be OK."<br /><br />The attendant said the woman had just made the U-turn from Route 1 north onto Bakers Basin Road and was headed into the gas station.<br /><br />"We have accidents there all the time," the attendant said.<br /><br />The impact caused the airbags in the front seats of the governor’s car to deploy.<br /><br />The young woman and her female passenger were transported to Robert Wood Johnson University Hospital in Hamilton, suffering from injuries police officials said were "very minor."<br /><br />One of McGreevey’s aides, Sean Brennan, was sitting in the passenger seat and was transported to the Robert Wood Johnson facility in New Brunswick with a hand injury.

JB

That's odd, JG.<br /><br />The article said nothing about excessive speed or running a red light.<br /><br />Where did that come from?? Someone creating an urban legend?<br /><br />I agree with SBN's rant, but let's not enhance the facts.

mellowyellow

Vice Admiral

ditto KKC, who's gonna tell them to slow down?<br />awhile back an ambulance driver crashed going<br />70+mph... wasn't even an emergency.<br />common sense ain't so common no more.

gaugeguy

Captain

Abuse of authority, see it every single day. Around here the towny police are OK, they drive the speed limit and will pop you if you are more than 5 mph over the limit. The state troopers, on the other hand, are out of control. I have been cruising down the highway at 10-15 mph over the limit and have had troopers blast by me like I was sitting still--just to see them a few miles up the road pulled up beside one of their buddies chewing the fat. I don't get it either.

crab bait

Captain

'round here,, the cops in there own personal vehicles have FOP on there plates..<br /><br /><br />o'yeah.. they'er professional drivers..

samagee

Chief Petty Officer

My best friend, who is an officer, is guilty as hell with this one. :) I often let him drive when we are going someplace, because he doesn't like it when I drive the speed limit. I often remind him that I am not the one with a badge. If he rides me to much about it, I remind him of the time a state trouper pulled him over and let him have it. :) She was really ticked when he opened his wallet and his badge was over his driver's license. I just wish it had happened while I was in the car. ;P<br /><br />I do know though, that in order for them to have time for a real break they have to make full use of time. Getting across town to meet for a break can cause them to speed at times. I ride with him at times and have seen this myself. They often get calls while on break. Since crime doesn't coordinate it's break with theirs, they get cheated some. :) <br /><br />But yea, I think they need to slow down some myself.

JGREGORY

Lieutenant

JB not urban legend, From the Trention news paper web site. The article also does not say that she received a ticket. It came out in a subsequent radio news story along with the speeding and the red light. Reported to the radio by witnesses.<br /><br />Here is the web link for the original article. <br /><br /> http://www.zwire.com/site/news.cfm?newsid=11407419&BRD=1697&PAG=461&dept_id=44551&rfi=8 <br /><br />I also found out that she was supposedly making an illegal left turn Which may or may not be true because you have to use a jug hande to cross the highway. The radio news program that I heard the subsequent info from does not like McGreevey so they may have been embelishing. If so I apologize. :eek:

Fly Rod

Commander

:) They are not above the law even tho some think they are!!! They don't stop for the stop signs!! They speed!!! They drink and drive!!! Who's going to give them a ticket?? It's all part of the game!! The "BROTHERHOOD!!!" <br /><br />Around here you would really have to do something wrong!! You would get tickeded quicker by the meter maid!!!<br /><br />Many of my friends that I went to went to school with etc: are cops and some rookies that I know I've had in little league many years ago!!! I have a drink or two with a couple of em!!<br /><br />Most are pretty good guys and yes we have had a few thrown off the force for robbery and drug dealing!!!

Bigfun

Petty Officer 1st Class

Iv'e always looked at cops speeding, as one of their fringe benifits. ;) <br /><br />Not a big deal to me.<br /><br />I'm willing to overlook some minor things that are illegal for me to do, when those things are done by people who are risking their lives for me.

Carphunter

Commander

Agree with Guageguy. The local boys around here seem to obey the laws, the state boys are the ones that abuse it.<br /><br />Whatcha gonna do though?

ob

Admiral

There are indeed times that officers risk their lives for citizens but to keep this modern day cliche(officers put their life on the line every day) in check ,consider that there are many who risk and lose their lives in several occupations that does not get near the recognition.Petro chemical industry just to mention one.These people too provide a vital service to all that use their products,including the police departments. <br /><br />On the other hand,if one observes a police officer that they feel is flaunting his ability to drive and speed as he sees fit can simply get the unit nimber and complain the the local city managers office.Happens all the time here and in some cases the officer is repremanded.

TPD211

Petty Officer 1st Class

We cite our officers if they are in a crash and are at fault. <br />Do I push it some when going to calls, yup.....<br />Do I drive recklessly, no....<br />Sometimes a call doesnt require lights & siren but dictates an urgency to get there, thus the driving faster than the posted speed limit. As for the hauling $$s to get to a coffe break with your buddies....NOT.<br />If you really feel that strong about it, write a complaint letter to the head of the agency. Department heads do not want the liability of a nascar wannabe driving a "pursuit interceptor" on the streets.<br /><br />That reminds me, I'm teaching pursuit driving on the driving simulator at the local police academy this week. Last time I used the simulator, I blew chow outside, that thing gives you motion sickness something terrible........

SpinnerBait_Nut

Triggerr, I understand the run without lights and stuff on certain calls, but just to get there so you can chit chat with a fellow officer, not IMO.<br /><br />As far as writing or calling someone about this issue, it's your word against the officer and who do they believe?<br />Yep, the officer.<br /><br />I just hope, one of them don't run over me or part of my family one of these nights.<br /><br />One past me and went right over the center divider with the cruiser, reckless driving? YUP.

jinx

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Back in 1984, my wife was hit by an Arlington County Va unmarked car and pushed into a utility pole. The unmarked car crested a hill on a rainy road and slid into her. It was displaying no flashing lights or siren and was travelling at excessive speed. When presented with the police report, she noticed that it was written up as a 3 car accident, with an unidentified subject vehicle the object of pursuit.<br /><br />She refused to sign the report, despite real pressure for her to do so. <br /><br />As an aside, Arlington County, at least at that time was self-insured, and required you to pay your repair costs out of pocket, and then wait for their bureaucracy to reimburse you. As a young couple just starting out, I really appreciated that on top of their deceit.

TPD211

Petty Officer 1st Class

We had the "iron sargeants" in our marked patrol cars several years ago. They record the speed, brakes and emergency lights (when they are on) on a Tachograph round paper graph chart thing that was mounted in the trunks of the patrol cars. We dont use them anymore but alot of law enforcement agencies still do. Also, depending on their computer aided dispatch (CAD) system, alot of them are enabled with GPS. <br />As for your word or the officers, most if not all departments take citizen complaints seriously. Granted, there are some cases of the citizen trying to get revenge for a ticket, or something like that, but those incidents are few and far between. <br /><br />Locally there was a deputy sheriff fired for travelling over 90mph to take some citizens to a location after their car broke down. He was clocked by a fellow deputy who was running radar in the area. This was a young deputy with maybe a few years on the job. Why he was driving like this, who knows? The agency wont tolerate this and fired him. There are lots of guys/gals looking to get into law enforcement, it is very competative in this area. Our starting salaries are in the low thirties with good benefits. Some agencies have take home cars. Working some overtime, a new hire can make 35-40k his first year. Not bad for a young lad of 19 or older. <br /><br />The days of the "brotherhood" are over. I can let a fellow officer go with a verbal warning for a minor traffic offense, but I do the same for a citizen also. <br />Heck, our local sheriff was recently arrested for lying to a grand jury over how he disposed of surplus vehicles. He recently took a plea bargain that allowed him to keep his pension. (Lake County, FL.) web page

GodsBeast

Chief Petty Officer

First off, before I get started, let me let you know first off, I know both ends of this scale. I introduced one of my best Dancing partners, a beautiful tallented lady, to a guy I graduated High School with. Even though I am not Catholic, she insisted that I was her son's Godparent. She was killed by a neighboring town officer, which Ran a red light. He said he was chasin a speeder, with lights on, no siren. A Witness stated she didn't see any lights. The witness was directly behind my Dancin Partner, which had just pulled up to the light, which had just turned green for them. Obviously, she didn't see the Patrol Car. I know exactly how fast the officer was going, his speeometer was stuck at 85 MPH at the scene of the crash. The Officer was at fault, running the Red light, even if his Emergancy Equipment was going. Am I ticked off, your absolutly right, it is a senseless loss of life. BUT, <br /><br />Some of those so called Law Abiding Citizens, bring these problems on themselves. First off, I'm a Shift Sergeant, w/16 years of experience in Law Enforcement, and I'd have to work OT out the wazoo to make 40K a year. Before anyone gets to ranting, I knew that going in, but, when you consider trying to get qualified people to do this job, for that pay, then make them pass the Academy, be bonded and Post certified, and Plant a target a mile wide on his back for any money hungry person that knows a lawyer to sue him for the most outright rediculas things I've ever seen in my lifetime, even to the point of being put in Jail, serving time, for simply doing his job, right down to the letter of the law as he was taught, without these upright upstanding law abiding citizens becoming enraged and coming to his defense at a mockery of justice. Finally, over time, you simply get the best qualified Officers that you can from the list you have to choose from. Down here, a City Worker leaning on a shovel all day, supposed to be digging ditches, makes almost the same pay as an officer that has to go through all this schooling, post certification, and get told to go out and serve the public and catch those criminals, and you had better not make one mistake, or we'll crusify you. <br /><br />Now, lights and Sirens, Give me a break, they just as soon take them off the cars nowdays. You have a passel of uneducated drivers out there, with NO FLIPING idea what to do, when an Authorized Emergancy Vehicle approaches. Your supposed to pull to the RIGHT, to the shoulder, and give them the roadway. Most folks don't even know it is ILLEGAL to pass an EMERGANCY VEHICLE that has someone pulled to the shoulder, in the right lane of a 2 lane divided Highway. Some even holler insults at the officer if he has part of his vehicle in the right lane, trying to protect the safety of the person he already has pulled over. <br /> You pull up behind someone in the left lane with lights and siren, and some want to go into the Median :confused: <br /> <br />Give me a break,,,,and you wonder why we don't want to run lights and siren most of the time? Most of the time, it hinders your getting to a call, most confused drivers panic, because they don't know the law themselves and have no idea to pull to the right. I've pulled to intersections, blaring sirens and lights only to have people pull every which a way, blocking the lanes, shoulder and Median, with no way through the intersection. Oh, and before someone says, you should stop and give them a ticket. YEA RIGHT, just stop in the middle of going to a shooting in progress, or a mangled mess of bent metal and bleeding bodies, to stop and write a bimbo a ticket for not knowing how to drive. <br /><br />Now the Coffee shop run. I've taken so many complaints about Officers speeding and running red lights to get to the Donut shop, or a POW WOW- war swapping story session, that most of them once investigated turned out that the citizen sqwaking never even bothered to notice that there was a handcuffed criminal in the back of the first car that the officers were leaning up against, while one officer was filling in the other on what happened. He's got one, and the other is still at large. Or, how many times they were getting together to come up with a plan of action on how to enter and handle a Civil situation, that they really shouldn't have to be involved in, but have to, because an Elected Official that can make their job miserable says they have to handle. Or how many times, they get word that someone high on the Wanted list has been spotted at someone's house, and they are quickly getting together to devise a plan of action to take them into custody, without anyone HARBORING A FUGITIVE getting hurt either. They are the first to sue. <br /><br />I've even had to pull the Law book out and show a practicing Lawyer, that these minor traffic laws DO NOT APPLY TO AN OFFICER IN THE PERFORMANCE OF HIS DUTIES. All because an officer was patroling about 5 MPH (jogging speed) with no headlights on, and not stopping at stop signs, to keep his brake lights from giving away his position, trying to apprehend a Burglary suspect. Now if you don't believe that they don't apply, let me ask you this: You pull up to a RED LIGHT, and an Officer Flags you to proceed through it. Do you go as directed, which the law says that the Officer is a higher level of traffic enforcement than the traffic control device (the red light) or do you sit there in a confused state and wonder what you should do? You'd be surprised at those that will just sit there bottling up traffic waiting for that broken red light to turn green. <br /><br />Or when an Officer flags you to Detour, there is a crash up ahead with hazzardous materials, and each and every driver expects the Officer to have surup and honey pouring out of his mouth and give them directions around the Detour. What ever happened to having a Map? Nowdays, get a GPS. <br /><br />Now for those State Troopers, God Bless them. I know some of them around here, that have worked 3 Parishes (Counties for you other states) by themselves. Working one crash on the extreme corner of one parish, then have to race across two parishes to get to another crash on the extreme edge of the last one he has to cover. Then he has to go to court in all these jurisdictions, and how about getting two court dates (THAT HE MUST APPEAR FOR) from two different parishes at the same time, while two judges arguing on which one is the most important for him to appear in? Then when he's late for one of them, the judge want to make a example of him. And you wonder why they Speed? The problem is, that most of the Public is just Plain SPOILED. <br /><br />I'm the first to say, you catch someone "EVEN AN OFFICER" seriously messing up, punish them. I've caught my officers pushing the limits and I shut them down. If you keep tying officers hands, complaining about every single incident, pretty soon you'll have officers just riding around waving, collecting their checks, and not doing a dang thing, just out of self peservation. Then at least he'll be qualified to lean on a shovel and collect his check, right? It all pays the same. :rolleyes:

SpinnerBait_Nut

And when they think that they are above thelaw, that is when the trouble starts.<br />Don't care, if they are going somewhere in a hurry, they should let people out on the road know, plain and simple.