My tomatoes will not turn red

mikeandronda

Lieutenant Commander
Ok I have had 20-30 tomatoes on my plants for well over a month and they do not seem to be ripining. Am I being impatiant :rolleyes: or is there something up? Thanx in advance for any info.

mikeandronda

Lieutenant Commander
Re: My tomatoes will not turn red

So you think its lack of fishing that is keeping them from getting ripe.............Well I wouldnt want that to happen, gonna go tell my wife I need to take tomarrow off and go fishin so our tomatoes will ripin. :) :)

carrotsnapper

Petty Officer 1st Class

How are you watering them? I've heard, but have no first hand knowledge that sprinkling them causes them to not ripen. Mark

Stumpys

Petty Officer 1st Class

Ours are taking their dear sweet time too... Maybe it's the crappy Missouri weather. :)

88spl

Petty Officer 1st Class

The Tomato family is walking down the street. There's the mama tomato, the papa tomato and baby tomato.<br />They're walking at a good pace when the baby starts lagging behind. Papa tomato starts getting mad. By the third block papa is so furious that he runs back and with his fist, squashes baby tomato.<br />He smiles and says, "Ketchup!"'

Link

Rear Admiral

Where is the tomatoeLord..<br />did not plant this year but my Dandy Lions are doing great :)

Limited-Time

Vice Admiral

Slowly.....back away from the plants.....and give mother nature a chance to finish her work.

ColdFire

Petty Officer 3rd Class

they'll get there I just got the first couple off of my plants, and I put them out way too early for MO weather (lucked out on a freeze.) Once they get started your good for a week or so by then you have eaten so many of them that you don't want to see them again till next year :)

RPJS

Lieutenant Commander

Creep up on the very early in the morning, before they have had a chance to do thier hair & make up. The embarrassment caused should do the trick. :p :p

ehenry

Commander

They'll be fine. I'll bet they're starting to turn now. I mistakenly pickup some tomatoes that only get yellow when they're ripe. They were in a flat with some better boys and didn't have a tag as to what they were. I let several rot before i figured out they weren't ever going to get red. Turns out they're really good, low on acid and seeds!!

heyttown

Chief Petty Officer

If they still wont turn after mother nature has done her thing......Pick them and wrap them in newspaper, they will turn in a few days.

mikeandronda

Lieutenant Commander

You guys are killing me :) :) <br />I have found out its still a bit early and I was watering them everyday so im stepping away from the plants and only watering them when they look like they need it and we shall see. ( I did pick huge one and left it on my window sill, it turned very red in 3 days and was very tasty :)

tomatolord

Chief Petty Officer

Time time bilbo cried of course that was the answer!<br /><br />what type are they?<br /><br />heirloom tomatos sometimes never turn completely red <br /><br />hybrids generally do.<br /><br />Temp and sun play a big part - cool temps cloudy skies will delay the time<br /><br />Stressing the plant will also make them turn red - pinch off a branch or pick a tomato will cause the other ones to turn red (the plant thinks it will die and hurries up the ripening process)<br /><br />I never water my plants - but if you do 1 a week for 15minutes is what I would not and NEVER EVER a sprinkler - you have to let the water soak into the ground not on to the plants.<br /><br />How can you tell if a plant needs it? Plants, especially in the high heat and blasting sun are affected by transpiration...which means the plant is giving off more water then it can take in so it wilts - however once the sun moves off the plant then the plant can catch back up and revive itself. Many people think the plant needs water but it does not.<br /><br />NOT the windowsill either - paper bags - I guess if you want to spend the time wrapping them in paper...tomatos produce a gas that will ripen them hence the bag<br /><br />time - each brand of tomato has a number of days the bigger the tomato the longer the number of days - but those days are from when the fruit sets to when it is ripe and those days can be longer or shorter depending on other factors as mentioned above.<br /><br />Then there 1st tomato's the 1st blooms can generally have problems<br /><br />I ate my 1st tomato 2 weeks ago but the german queens are still green and growing.<br /><br />Good luck