My Situation. Finally a Four Winns, but Oh Oh

Hello There, I am a New Boater. How New on my First boat (2005 Monterey) I left the plug out when I took it to the water. I heard someone say they could go under, this one did'nt. So I got lucky. Took the boat out 4 times after that and here I am today. So thats how new I am. When I was looking for my first boat I remember saying one of these days I want a Four Winns. Why I just really liked them, just a choice. Well i Finally found one and I am know the legal owner to it. Although it might own me, we will see. Jajaja It has an OMC King Cobra.

Some people might call it stupid what I just did but let me explain. I did not even test drive the boat. It was a nice deal I took my chances, I got this baby for 3K. We turned the motor on for a minute or so, it sounded great. I hope the outdrive is not messed up but I doubt it, ( The guy told me lets go to the lake for a drive, I did not have the time to do so) motor was just rebuilt and outdrive cleaned up, the boat is in great condition, all I need is some minor upholstery work and voila a grea boat. I love this line. A 1992 Four Winns 200 Horizon with a 351 King Cobra Spitfire and King Cobra outdrive. (Some pics are posted) The boat was selling for 6k, and had been there for a while, the guy needed some emrrgency money and I got it for 3k. Like I said I took my chances. If I part it out I would probably get more than that.

Here is my problem. It has OMC. Well not problem, It just has an OMC. I know a lot of people don;t like them because of scarse parts. That does not make them a bad product. So I would be wanting to change it to Merk in a very near future if eveything works properly or next week if things don;t go well. Will know this saturday out on the lake, First test drive. I am a chevy die hard guy, thats why I want to go with Merk. Besides the ease for parts.

So with this said what are my options. I am confused have spent all week reading on OMC, pre 1990 after 1990, dog, cones, stringer etc.. Wanted to ask you guys what do I have, and what can I do later with it i regard to conversion to Merk. Here are the specks on the boat.

1992 Four Winns 200 Horizon 20'.
351 OMC King Cobra Spit Fire Motor #T01230513
Out Drive King Cobra #74590

Tried finding more numbers both on outdrive and motor but did not no where to look and found nothing. Just was in the title.

Thanks for the help everyone. It will be much appreciated. I have no clue whats on my boat neither my options.

Noe

Attachments

• boat5.jpg
    boat5.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 0
  • boat3.jpg
    boat3.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 0
  • boat8.jpg
    boat8.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 0
  • 351 Engine.jpg
    351 Engine.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 0
  • 015.jpg
    015.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 0
Re: My Situation. Finally a Four Winns, but Oh Oh

To Add, from reading everyone is saying to get a Manual. I did get one today. OMC Stern Drives 1986-98 Repair manual by SELOC (Picture Posted)

Attachments

• OCM Manual 001.jpg
    OCM Manual 001.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 0

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Wow, an OMC engine and drive and a Seloc manual for repairs. How could you go wrong with that combination??? :rolleyes:

Parts are only part of your problem. Finding someone to work on that outdrive with the special tools is another. OMC went out of buisness over 10 years ago. That drive was only used for either 3 or 4 years, so don't expect to find a bunch of aftermarket parts.
The other thing is Ford parts are getting few and far between. None of the manufacturers use Ford anymore, because they (Ford) got out of the marine industry too.

JaseBosto

Petty Officer 1st Class

OMC:eek:

Yup, I am set. Jajaja

Do SELOC manuals suck or why your sarcasm?

Ok Parts and Service, understood. Like mentioned hopefully I can get this season out of the boat. Down side I just got screwed on 3k. But not totally still want the boat. If its a nice Motor and Drive I can get some money out of it. That I am sure of. New to boating, not to doing business.

So can I convert this boat? Is this the worst of the OMC's?

Thanks

Noe

JaseBosto

Petty Officer 1st Class

If it runs just drive it till it doesnt. Why worry about replacing something that works?
I don't know if you can convert to mercruiser or not. One thing is for sure, you can't bolt that ford to any newer mercruiser....you would need the whole assembly from motor to prop. My first thought is that you would have to redrill the transom to fit the the mercruiser transom assy, that might mean you might have to fill in fiberglass, then drill and cut to fit..... Lots of work my friend. Probably should have consulted with experienced boaters before you purchased....not trying to rub it in though.

cooter2506

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Seloc manuals are good for toilet paper or knee pads. (sorry had to say it even though it is a quote from another iboats member)

cooter2506

Transom cut out is the same as a Mercruiser so it is a relatively easy swap.

madurodave

Petty Officer 1st Class

nice boat. my bro in law has a 1987 200 horizon and it is a nice rig. Very deep hull and handles the chop well. His OMC and engine is a 4.3. Strong and reliable. He is a happy boater 6 years and running with his rig. Find a guy that can work on it and odnt worry. just have fun. good luck,

Here we are rafted up!

6732_1139442725762_1218218329_30498526_6839883_n.jpg

Congrats on your purchase and welsome to iboats.

Don S

Transom cut out is the same as a Mercruiser so it is a relatively easy swap.
Are you sure, that is the OMC cone clutch version before Volvo. Not the standard OMC with the dog clutch and ESA system.

And I agree with the statement of run it till it dies. You own it. Get the proper manuals for it so you do things right, and do the best you can, and see how long it lasts.

cooter2506

Sorry Don I thought it was basically the same swap Rick (HT32BSX115) did.

NelsonQ

Lieutenant

Do SELOC manuals suck or why your sarcasm?

They're generic in nature.... no specifics to the model/years, or any great detail compared to the original service manual

I have copies of SELOC and the Manufacturer's Service Manual for my Johnson outboard. Have to agree with other posters, that they make a nice place to knee when working on your boat, but not much more.

On the boat, hope it works out and you can enjoy it this summer.

Don S

It may be the same, I don't know for sure, do you? You did say that it was a relatively easy swap.

I think I will be alright. Fortunately there are 2 good OMC boat shops that still work on them here in San Antonio. One is an A#@%, He is good from what I hear but he does not even let you talk and just points out to you that your a complete dumb nut for not knowing. The other is really nice. Although I don't want to spend money on parts for something I do not want.

You nailed it. When I was talking about converting. I was talking about everything, Merk Motor and Drive. Do not want the Ford either. Like mentioned Hard Core GM guy. I do have one advantage though. I have the border 2 hours from me and go every 2 weeks, as soon as I find the motor and drive I want. Should not cost me much to do the work down there. 1/5th of what it would cost here. But I do need to find the motor first, so want to start asking and getting some experience on this subject.

Just to give you an Idea, not couting Materials. Labor for New Wood, re-carpet and reupholster. $400. Nice huh

We will see how it goes. Just want to start looking what motor and drive is next.

Thanks

Noe

JaseBosto

Petty Officer 1st Class

I highly recommend you run the boat as-is for now. Maintain it, and run it. If there is nothing wrong with it I insist that you just use it. Summer is right around the corner. I would also recommend that if you don't know what your doing(as you said), have someone who does go through the boat completly. Have them check out all your fluids, check the alignment, etc so you know you won't break down out there.

Totally Agree. There is no way I want the boat in the shop for that long with the season just barely starting. So Thats exactly what I am going to do. But as you know opportunities always come along, so I do want to start researching options etc... And if I happen to run into one I have plan B and maybe get it done during down season. As mentioned I do not want to put any money on any major parts or service on this engine and drive. I would rather save up and change. Thats why I am so reluctant on starting to look and see if anyone can guide me.

Thanks

Noe

Don Gotthis from one of your posts.

The words "King Cobra" doesn't mean much, as there are 3 completely different outdrives called "King Cobra" and none of them are interchangeable.
1. OMC KC with dog clutch in lower. Raw water pump mounted on back of drive
2. OMC KC with cone clutch in upper. Raw water pump on back of outdrive
3. OMC/Volvo KC (aka SX King Cobra) cone clutch in upper, no raw water pump. Shifts like Volvo drives

From other posts I have read I believe the Real King Cobra only came on the 460, which is not my case. This is a 5.8L. SO I am assuming this is just a regular cobra. Will the number on the drive tell me exactly what I have. I know you cannot tell much from the pics. I think I do not have to do the measuring of oil, since its not a 460. SO which one do you think I might have?

This is a 1992 Four Winns, I am stuck between the Prior to 1986, afer 1986-1993 and after.

Thanks

Noe

Last edited:

Thanks Maduro Dave will do just That. Thanks everyone for their input. Give me about 2-3 months and I will be past the newbie stage. I Hope

Found a Clymer Manual. Would this be better? Which is absoluetely the best one? Or recomended one?

As mentioned will keep the SELOC for knee padding. Jajaj

Thanks

Noe

Don S

The picture below is a picture of an OMC King Cobra outdrive w cone clutch and pre 94. I don't need numbers, I can tell by looking at it.

PS: The Seloc manuals are MUCH better than the Cylmers.

attachment.php

Attachments

• Untitled3.jpg
    Untitled3.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 0