My shuddering johnson...

johnson-liner

Petty Officer 1st Class
I have a '92 48 SPL on a 14' Bayliner and it seems to shake rattle and roll a little too much for my liking. Not noticable when underway, but at idle speed, the motor jiggles so much, I can feel it at the steering wheel. It looks like it's loose where the lower engine housing meets the steering arm (directly underneath the motor)and where the vertical steering pivot shaft (not sure what the name is :confused: ) attaches to the lower leg. Does anyone have any idea of what bushing, etc I might need to replace or (hopefully) tighten up? I have a manual at home, but so far haven't really been able to find anything on this. Thanks in advance for your help! :p

gibletts

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: My shuddering johnson...

The vibration your experiencing could be due to a miss-fire or no-fire in one cyclinder leaving the engine unbalanced rather than a problem at the engine mount?

voodoo

Petty Officer 1st Class

not likely the mounts, misfire ,bad idle timing or twisted crank.

johnson-liner

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks for the responses. I was able to get out of work a little early, run home and swing the boat over to the local Johnson dealer. As I suspected, it is the motor mounts. ALL OF THEM :eek: :eek: ! From the main mount ($80) at the powerhead down to the lower leg mounts ($5-$10 ea). <br /><br />I only replaced the Force 50 that was on the boat with this new-to-me Johnson a couple of months ago. It was used in salt water conditions prior to me owning it, so I assume that has had a lot to do with the mounts rotting. Can't wait to feel the difference after I replace them though! :cool: