My second attempt at rejoining boat owner land.

dao

Cadet
Well the bay liner was a no go. Luckily, I have spotted a 2001 Larson Escape, 21.5' bow rider, with a mercury 225efi outboard. I would still have to get a mount and a 9.9hp kicker for the small lakes, however $5000 seems a good deal. It only has 210 hours on it, and was wrapped for the past 4 years. The engine turned over with little effort.

I do worry that a 3500 lbs boat will not move with a 9.9. Five mph is no biggie for slow cruising and trolling.

dao

Cadet
Re: My second attempt at rejoining boat owner land.

I suppose this could make me a member of the tri-hull club

David

oldjeep

Admiral

Why are you looking at a bowrider when it sounds like you want a fishing boat?

dao

Cadet

Why are you looking at a bowrider when it sounds like you want a fishing boat?

Multipurpose. I live 5 minutes from two reservoirs, which are 9.9hp. and 15 minutes from the Delaware River, which is not. Also, I would be taking my family along on most trips

oldjeep

Admiral

my .02 - if you want a multipurpose that you are going to hang a little motor on then get a nice tin boat like a crestliner. Nothing skunks up a boat with full seats and carpet worse than fishing from it.

dao

Cadet

Opinions are exactly what I want.

I had a 32 footer that I needed to keep in a slip. We fished with it to no ill effect.... because of all the time we spent cleaning the damned thing.

I am curious as to people's experiences with this boat and motor, boats that have been wrapped and unused for a couple of years and attaching kicker motors. The big motor will have more than enough opportunity to flex its muscles.

CILO

Seaman Apprentice

Thats the thing about Jersey, you can count the bodies of water that allow motors over 9.9 with one hand and a missing thumb. I was looking into getting a kicker for the same reasons. I recall reading on another forum that a 20 ft glass boat would need at least a 15hp kicker to move it without too much strain. If you find a decent 15hp i'm sure you can find some nice 9.9 stickers to match ;-)

dao

Cadet

Thats the thing about Jersey, you can count the bodies of water that allow motors over 9.9 with one hand and a missing thumb. I was looking into getting a kicker for the same reasons. I recall reading on another forum that a 20 ft glass boat would need at least a 15hp kicker to move it without too much strain. If you find a decent 15hp i'm sure you can find some nice 9.9 stickers to match ;-)

ahem... I wouldn't have the faintest idea what you are talking about....
I read somewhere that some 9.9's are just governed 15's.

dao

Cadet

I have been on a 20 foot glass with 4 adults and 5 children. It wasn't happy about it, but the 9.9HP did push it along.

babbot

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I would think a 9.9 would be enough for hull speed if you get a kicker motor(gear lower for pushing larger boats). You will need to prop it correctly as well. Just look at large sailboats, you don't see very large motors on them...

dao

Cadet

It hit me to check on the outboard. I always thought of Mercury as a decent brand, are their issues with the two stroke 225efi motors?