My Residential Garbage service is driving me nuts....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mark42

Fleet Admiral
Up until two weeks ago everything was fine. Then the problems started. I had put out the usual two containers, one is the big Cart can that the truck power loads, the second is a regular rectangular plastic can with lid and wheels. They took the cart can, but not the second. I called and was told that there was sheet-rock in the can and they can't take it. So I remove the sheetrock (a half dozen or so pieces no bigger than a dinner plate) and put the can out the following week. I also put out the usual two cans so there are now three cans out. They take the Cart can and leave the other two. So I call. I'm told that there was "construction debris" in the can. I said there were empty paint cans, dry without the lids, some soap tubs, old books, and a few pieces of wood molding and metal bead scraps from the sheetrock. They said they can't take those objects. They can only take trash from the kitchen and bathrooms. Nothing from my "shop" or materials from home repairs. If it's not wet garbage, they don't want it. So I asked if I sweep the garage floor and put it in the can, will they take it? No. If I throw out a broken lamp? No. Broken lightbulb? No. Old shoes? No. CD's, Video tapes, broken dishes? No. No. No. I told him this is getting rediculous. I can't throw out old cloths? The problem is the incinerator. They only want wet garbage. I told him to send me their official document about what residential garbage service is and what is allowed. He said he would and then read it to me. They will pick up 100 gallons of residential trash a week in two cans. Period. That is it. So why not take the paint cans, the shoes, CD's, etc? The incinerator doesn't want them. <br /><br />So I press the guy about why they used to take it but stopped two weeks ago. And here is the secret they don't want you to know...... <br /><br /><br /> I didn't put those bulky items in a bag. <br /><br />I have to put them in a bag . A bag makes it OK. Not just any bag, but a bag they can't see through. No clear plastic bags. No white thin bags. Gotta use those nice black plastic bags. You can put nuclear waste in a black plastic bag and it makes it acceptable. I can put body parts in black plastic bags and it's OK. There seems to be some magic that black plastic bags work on garbage that the bare can alone does not accomplish. <br /><br />I bet if Terri Schiavo's husband put her in a black plastic bag he wouldn't have the problems he has right now.

D

DJ

Re: My Residential Garbage service is driving me nuts....

Ahhh, buearocracy rears its ugly head.

SpinnerBait_Nut

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Mark, if they can't see it, they don't know it's paint cans, etc. Thay protects them I guess with the incinerator people. <br /><br />I know mine will take anything as long as it's in their can that they leave me. They don't even look, just dump er in the truck and go on.

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral

I know what you mean Mark. My shop dumpster tends to get items in it that the shop doesn't put in it. Tires is one of the items they won't take. However if they are put into the black bag, the tires never get left behind.<br /><br />Something magical about those black bags.....

crab bait

Captain

black bag it,, got it..<br /><br />eight heads in a bag.. black bag..<br /><br />but all i got are those thick dark brown bags.. better not chance it..

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

Yep, I put all the sheet rock and construction debris I want in their big Cart can, and the truck dutifully sweeps it up and dumps it. No questions asked.<br /><br />But when the driver has to get out and pick up the second can, then the nit picking starts.<br /><br />I think a lot of the problem is the new female driver we have. They shouldn't hire a 90lbs woman to pick up 50lbs garbage cans. That woman has EVERY incentive to find a reason to not have to pick up that can, and NO incentive to struggle and muscle it into the truck.<br /><br />I don't need a young, cute, petite, garbage woman who looks good in her tight overalls. I need a big strong burly looking woman who can just look at the can and it will jump in the truck all by itself.

eeboater

Commander

Originally posted by Mark42:<br />I bet if Terri Schiavo's husband put her in a black plastic bag he wouldn't have the problems he has right now.
24.gif
24.gif
24.gif
24.gif
24.gif
<br /><br /><br />I know it isn't "PC" to laugh at that, but it is so true.<br /><br />Mark, I have the same issue. People told me that if I give my "garbage guys" a Christmas gift we'd get better service. My wife insisted on it, I said it was BS but succumbed to her persistence for obvious reasons that any married male will understand.<br /><br />Did it help matters at all? Nope. I'll be d*mned if they get anything from me this year.<br /><br />Sean

SpinnerBait_Nut

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Originally posted by Mark42:<br />I need a big strong burly looking woman who can just look at the can and it will jump in the truck all by itself.
:eek: :eek: I had one of them once, your right, that can would go wheeling itself up the drive to the truck and then she gave it a smile and it jumped right up there and dumped itself out and ran back down the driveway. :eek: :eek:

ndemge

Commander

*******o's.....<br /><br />if'n you had a fedex account.... fedex.com, order supplies, specialty supplies, "luggage bag".. they are 4' long THICK white non-transparent bags.... and they come for free :)

Bondo

Staff member

I bet if Terri Schiavo's husband put her in a black plastic bag he wouldn't have the problems he has right now.<br /> <br />I don't need a young, cute, petite, garbage woman who looks good in her tight overalls. I need a big strong burly looking woman who can just look at the can and it will jump in the truck all by itself.
:D :D Mark,... You're Killing Me,... I'm Rolling on the Floor, In Tears, Peeing My Pants..!!.. :D :D BTW,... I Agree,.. 100%....<br /><br />I'd think that Any Color bag, as long as you Can't see through it would Work.............<br />Although,.... I'd probably stay away from Red, Orange, or Yellow bags......... :rolleyes: <br /><br /><br />On a side note, that's vaguely related,.......<br /><br />If I put a Clear Bag of garbage in the back of My pickup,......<br />The Crows,+ Seagulls will have it speard over 30 Acres in No Time Flat...............<br /><br />If it's in a bag you Can't See Thru,.... It can sit there a Week,.... And Nothing will Touch It............

jsfinn

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Haha - sorry about your trash troubles, Mark. My garbage people will take anything I put out for them, except they have a way of throwing the trash can back on the sidewalk that breaks the bottom out of it. I thought about calling them to have them buy me a new one .... but I know how that conversation will go.<br /><br />Anyone have any idea how you throw away a trash can? Wouldn't they just leave it on the curb? I thought about putting a sign on it, but I'm not sure they can read... I guess I'll put it in a giant black plastic bag! :)

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

They still incinerate garbage out there?

deputydawg

Lieutenant Commander

This year was the deadline for most states to comply with certain waste rules. The bag thing is exactly that, if they don't see it they are not responsible. If the man at the dump or the incinerator doesn't see it he is not required to do anything. <br />Asbestos is this way. It can be dumped at the local landfill, but it has to be in a bag. They charge extra for it because it takes "special measures to dispose of". They dump it in a different hole, then they bury it. Don't want to contaminate the rest of the good stuff out there. <br />In nebraska paint cans even dried can not be disposed of in the dump, wood metal building supplies etc. But this only applies if it can be seen. The EPA or whoever handles the dump inspects landfills. If they see these things there the landfill gets a fine. BUT the dump police won't dig either. <br />I used to be a dump diver, got a lot of cool stuff, but now it isn't worth it. People don't throw the cool stuff out anymore.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

You have trash pick up!!!!!<br /><br />Here we bag it and haul it to a drop point.<br /><br />Construction debris should be hidden in dark heavy bags too.

LubeDude

Admiral

I dont personaly have garbage service because I can bring it here to work where I do, Why pay twice, but my problem "WAS" this. There is service available at home, and the garbage people, (dumb as rocks) would put the empty cans in front of the mail boxes no matter where people put them for pick up so the mail could not be delivered or picked up from a car and you would have to get out of the car, move the garbage cans, then deliver or get your mail. We did everything we could (Politly making phone calls). Finally I called and told them that if they continued doing this that I would confiscate every one of the garbage cans that they left in front of the mail boxes, I only had to do it one time. I took all four of them home one night. I guess after they had to bring new ones out they figured it out. I took them back, I guess the neighbors have more cans now or they picked up the extra ones. Anyway, they dont put them in front of the mail boxes anymore.

SoulWinner

Commander

Originally posted by Mark42:<br /> <br /><br /><br /> I can put body parts in black plastic bags and it's OK. There seems to be some magic that black plastic bags work on garbage that the bare can alone does not accomplish. <br /><br />I bet if Terri Schiavo's husband put her in a black plastic bag he wouldn't have the problems he has right now.
Thanks, I just blew coffe out of my nose. If laughter really is the best medicine, I will be healthy for years!. That was a good one!

wajajaja

Chief Petty Officer

hey mark, is this a contractor or a municipal service, up here they take all of what you mentioned including dead dogs/poo and anything else that a household would generate.<br /> except recylebles, the dry paint cans they take to warren for burnning in stead of burying them, <br /> call the sussex mua and ask them for what the class A list is. <br /> (i live in the next county from mark)

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

Hi wajajaja,<br /><br />It's a contractor. They are nice enough to extend the offer of driving my garbage to their depot and they will take it. How nice. Especially seeing as I PAY them to come get it.<br /><br />This evening I dumped the cans in the driveway, put huge 55 gallon plastic bags in the cans and shoveled it all back in. Oh what fun. So next week when they come to pick the trash up, it will be same **** different day. <br /> :D

cajun555

Chief Petty Officer

Our garbage service will pick up anything and everything, bagged or not. I changed out the water heater, and just for kicks put the old one on the curb; Yep, they picked it up.<br /><br />What worries me is the last few months I've noticed a kid on a bike follows the trash people around and stops when they do. I don't know if hes looking at stuff that people throw out or what. Maybe hes looking at stealing an identity from some loose trash.

Fly Rod

Commander

:) You get more out of a person if you use sugar instead of vinegar!!!!<br /><br />Where i live I give the 2 trash collectors a 25 dollar food gift certificate once a year and they take whatever I put in the trash!!!! ;) :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.