My Regal 176 Valanti

DavidP

Cadet
Hi,
I'm new in boating and recently bought my first boat. It's a 1999 Regal 176 Valanti (SE) with a 2003 3.0l 135 hp Mercruiser engine. Beside some minor stuff which I hope to fix by myself with the help of iboats :) the boat is in a great condition.

I love this boat and it's fun to speed around :D

Does someone has some infos about weak parts of this boat? I have some cracks in the ski compartment. How can they occure? Someone has a wiring diagram for this boat? I ordered a manual @ Regal but it will take till beginning of next month since they have to reprint it

David

Attachments

• boat.jpg
    boat.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 1

Mischief Managed

Lieutenant Commander
Re: My Regal 176 Valanti

The cracks in the locker on mine were caused by a complete lack of fiberglass cloth on the marine plywood locker sole. The cloth only extended down the sides of the locker and stopped after it helped join the locker sides to the sole. I added cloth and resin to mine and sprayed it with a tan rattle can. It was messy, but cheap and easy work and it will help keep the boat in good shape for years.

Mischief Managed

Lieutenant Commander

Mine was worse than yours. I was able to remove most of the cracked resin with fingers alone and the rest came out with a putty knife and then a sander. There was no rot under it but there was moisture. I dred it out thoroughly with constant airflow and heat before I glassed it over. I had no problems after that and hear no complaints from the current owner, who keeps in touch.

drlightnin

Recruit

MY first boat is a 94 Regal Valanti 176 SE, my whole floor was cracked like your ski locker is. The carpet was rotten when I got the boat. I resealed the entire floor and ski locker with GluvIT epoxy to protect the plywood and put new carpet in. I didn't repaint the ski locker, I might do that someday.

-alfy-

Recruit

blast from the past, but anyone else have this boat?

UpStateSteve

Recruit

I have a 1993 Valanti 176 SE. (Just acquired it recently)..I have found the exact problem with mine as well in the ski locker. In my scenario, not only did the bulk of the resin come out with my bare hands, so didn't the plywood underneath.

Fixing it proved pretty easy. I use my dremel with high speed cutting wheel to remove any remaining wood, resin from the ski locker sole. I then cut 1/2 plywood to the appropriate shape, applied a couple coats of poly resin to the back and edges and laid it in place. Once in place, i used 4 inch wide strips of glass mat on all seams, corners to tie in place. I followed that up with 2 more layers of glass matt and resin the extended 4 inches up the sides of the locker and the entire sole...

Topped it off with gray paint, reinstalled the drain screen and was back in the water a day later.