My past 3 weeks

Peter J Fraser

Chief Petty Officer
Some of you may be wondering what I have been doing these past few days when I can post during "Working Hours"..<br />I have spent the past 3 weeks (120 hours) training prison inmates to be Earthmoving Machinery Operators. Our Company has set up a full hands on training site with all the toys in our fleet available as demand permits.<br />These guys (6)are on a release to work programme with the Corrections Dept and have been employed by a contractor to drive E/m machinery on a new prison site about 40 mins north of my city.<br />No previous experience but want to turn their lives around.<br />All are in the last weeks of their incarceration and are paid the std rates on the job.<br />They even get given the keys of the vehicle to drive to and from site each day, no guard with them at all.<br />We have had a great time with some real good laughs and they are off to work at site on Monday morning.<br />So some of my recent time I have been sitting in my 2nd office on our traing site and while doing my paper work I have looking at iboats.<br />So that is why I am around during the days.<br />I am now going home and we are off to the beach for the weekend to do some work on my boat.<br /> :) <br />Have a great weekend guys.<br /><br />Peter

Dunaruna

Admiral
Re: My past 3 weeks

What happenned to the good old road building chain gangs - now they got catepillars & kato's!!<br /><br />Seriously - congrats Peter, helping these guys get thier lives back on track is a worthy pursuit.<br /><br />Aldo

jamesgreen

Petty Officer 2nd Class

See over here we just turn them loose after their time is served and expect them to be productive citizens. Job training that would make to much sense. Keep up the good work. Enjoy the beach and most of all the boat.

BrianFD

Senior Chief Petty Officer

That's great, Peter! Glad to see a work-release program succeeding!<br />And James, that's way too liberal thinking for this board, I'm afraid, LOL.

Bassy

Lieutenant Commander

What a wonderful program to be a part of. I just love to hear about successful programs like these. Good stuff!<br />Bassy

Peter J Fraser

Chief Petty Officer

Hey thanks for the encouragement.<br />We will be watching these guys as they develop over the next weeks.<br />Of the 6 I believe that 4 will become good safe operators with the right assistance.<br />Main thing though is they have to want to succeed in this and not revert to old ways again.<br />This job they are going onto involves about 1.3 mil cu metres of material to shift and most of the trucks are Terex 6x6 40 ton capacity.<br />We have supplied an 85 ton and a 110 ton excavator to load out with.<br /><br />Regards<br />Peter

Bassy

Lieutenant Commander

110 ton excavator? That sounds like fun! Where do I sign up? LOL Forget rearranging the furniture. How about rearranging the place? Cool! That must be such an awesome feeling. All the power right in the palm of your little hand. Ahh!<br /> :D <br />Bassy

Peter J Fraser

Chief Petty Officer

Bassy,<br />Yep we can rearrange the place real easy.<br />Actually the bigger the machine the easier they are to operate due to the balance being better as the size goes up.<br />We have a couple of 400 ton excavators nearby that make a man (or girl) look very small beside them.<br />They take only 5 bucket loads to fill a 200 ton truck. Some of these boys are likely to end up driving some of those toys in the future.<br /><br />Peter

62_Kiwi

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Peter, good on you for getting to work on such a worthwhile project - hopefully breaking the criminal cycle for those guys.<br /><br />Which beach do you frequent ? My regular favourite is Whangamata.

Peter J Fraser

Chief Petty Officer

62 kiwi.<br /><br />Waihi Beach is the answer to the question.<br />We are there about every 2nd w/e.<br />If you are in our area call me: 027-4923674<br /><br />Regards<br /><br />Peter