My observations and mini rant...Katrina victims

neumanns

Lieutenant Commander
Seems to me that anyone that had a little inititive or direction in life pre-katrina are doing what has to be done ie...walking out etc<br /><br />It appears to me that the ones that were standing in line at the post office pre-katrina are the ones that are still standing somwhere down there going...where is all the help, I'm tired of MRE's and water.<br /><br />The relief effort cannot do everything for everyone, But I have noticed with exception of a few almost everone has a bottle of water...This is good, it is one of lifes neccesity's.<br /><br />Yes there is some looting, yes we haven't gotten to everbody yet, but as far as I can see a lot has been accomplished...But it seems to me that some people will not be satisfied until there is an armed guard at every corner passing out cold coke and hot burgers...Get a gripe, and be glad you got somthing to drink with your cold MRE and start walking, odd's are some more fortunate soul will give ya a ride...If not you will get to where you are headed eventually.<br /><br />Katrina did not get to individual initiative for a motivated person to access the situation and help them determine what they can do to improve it.<br /><br />Unfortinatly neither did it get to the ones that are used to having things done for them.<br /><br />A prime example of this is flatheads realitives...They are not still standing down there going...Where's the bus dude! With a little help from others (maybe) they helped themselves.

QC

Supreme Mariner
Re: My observations and mini rant...Katrina victims

Yup. This is what is wrong with social programs. It teaches some people that they will have things provided for them. There are absolutely exceptions and people that truly need help. But necessity is the mother of initiative too . . .<br /><br />I am disturbed that those that are stuck there are primarily black. However, those that see this as racism need to understand that Lousiana's poor are primarily black, so in turn they are who have depended on state programs.

CalicoKid

Lieutenant Commander

With the way the video news is cut and mixed I don't think we are getting the actual vibe down there. Sure a person or two is complaining about cold food but I'll bet it's been taken out of context. ie: "these MREs are cold and there's nothing but water to drink" (cut tape while the interviewee continues) "but it beats starving and I'll take what I can get, thankyou".<br /><br />I also think that the isolated reports of gunfire and violence are getting dispropotionate coverage and make the poor, desperate people of that city all look very criminal and uncivilized to the world right now. You'd think every one of them is steeling TVs and shooting the place up when it's only a few in relation to those who are patiently waiting for help and rescue.<br /><br />I am afraid that there are also many who just do not have a clue what they will do in the short or long term.

Twidget

Commander

I have realtives in Biloxi. I finally got in contact with them for a good briefing. <br /><br />One brother in law lost his house. The other brother in law had part of his roof collapse, but they house is still safe. There are now 6 people living in that house.<br /><br />They own a business in Biloxi, selling weight lifting products and doing silk screening. As I type this, they are silk screening T shirts for the area police departments. They police have no way to wash their uniforms, so they are using the T shirts from what I'm told.<br /><br />I guess that is just the difference between people that are self sufficient and those that sit around with their hands out. Before I get flamed for the last comment, my brother in laws started their business out of a garage 15 years ago using money that they made working second jobs.

fixin

Senior Chief Petty Officer

As I watched CNN this morning,they showed a couple on a deck (lazily)waving towels in the air for help.As the camera pans out,you can see the water all around is maybe knee deep and there is a boat tied up in front of the complex.<br />What the :confused:

POINTER94

Vice Admiral

In the words of Sam Kinneson: "MOVE TO WHERE THE FOOD IS!" When the going gets tough the tough get going. Sitting around waving your arms like an idiot waiting for someone to bring pizza, beer and cable tv is just pathetic. If those capable of helping themselves did, it would allow existing resources to help those who truely can't fend for themselves.

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

Move to where the food is...there's a good chance you won't get shot at, and if you are, they'll probably miss, and if they don't, it probably won't be too serious anyway, and if it is, there's a slight chance you'll get medical attention before you die.<br /><br />It's the inner-city where the complainers are, I think quietcat got it right: it's the old "plantation mentality" - "you the man, you suppose to take care o' me, now where my dinner?"<br /><br />Smaller cities & towns & rural areas, if you hear complaints from there, more than likely it's out of desparation...people are not just experiencing a little discomfort, they are actually dying. <br /><br />That's what I think.

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

Originally posted by Fixin:<br /> As I watched CNN this morning,they showed a couple on a deck (lazily)waving towels in the air for help.As the camera pans out,you can see the water all around is maybe knee deep and there is a boat tied up in front of the complex.<br />What the :confused:
The boat is tied up and they're waving "lazily" because after paddling for 10 hours they can hardly move their arms. And they can't walk in the raw sewage because the cuts on their feet & legs have already begun to show infection.

POINTER94

Vice Admiral

jtexas,<br /><br />You hit it right on the head. Sit and wait. If you die, it's GW's fault. Don't take your own life in your own hands. I would highly recommend sitting and whining. By your own statement, you suggest that they sit in sewage or die instead of paddling and getting sore arms. That is why this is all going as poorly as it is. If those capable of helping themselves did instead of waiting for someone to do it for them, (welfare mentality) can you imagine how much better off everyone would be? I have paddled for 10 hours and the next day another 10 and on and on for one week. Heck, I paid for the privedge. But heaven forbid we do anything without the aid of the government. Sad sad state of affairs when this train of thought is held up as the "right" approach to actual survival. 10hr x 2mph = OUT OF TOWN!!!!!!<br /><br />We are a pathetic nation not worthy of assistance if this is truely the approach a majority of us subscribe to.

fixin

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Originally posted by jtexas:<br />The boat is tied up and they're waving "lazily" because after paddling for 10 hours they can hardly move their arms. And they can't walk in the raw sewage because the cuts on their feet & legs have already begun to show infection.
Ya right. NOT!

BoatBuoy

Rear Admiral

While we're imagining - I think they are waving because the sun's shinnin', water temp is perfect, beer and steaks in the cooler, and they're sayin' "We see you got back with the charcoal". <br /><br />Ya' think?

rolmops

Vice Admiral

I just got back from donating blood down our street and I would like all of you opinionated people to step away from the screen and make your way down to your local red cross or church and see if you can help load up a truck or arrange goods that are donated.<br />I guess you catch my drift. There is a time to chat and a time to do. Now is a time to do.<br />Good luck.

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

hey pointer, what's up with that?<br /><br />i suggest a scenario in which people are doing their best to make their own way, instead of "waiting for someone to do it for them" and you call me "pathetic"?<br /><br />you paid for the privilege of taking a conoe trip...ya that's exactly the same as being stranded in a flood surrounded by raw sewage, no food no water, don't know if you have any living relatives left, you don't try to flag down help when you get the opportunity? You don't really think this is a vacation opportunity for these people, pointer, so why do you say it?<br /><br />and where are they paddling to? I guess they been watching that TV there on the boat to find out exactly where to go.<br /><br />if I were like you are, I would suggest that you would call a halt to all S&R ops, "those people should have left, they didn't, let 'em die." Is that's your attitude? no of course not. <br /><br />I wouldn't say something like that about you. So why say it about me? I just don't get it.<br /><br />And what's with your comment about it being Bush's fault? Why would you suggest that any man could control the weather?

D

DJ

We are living, dying and making judgements based on sound bites.<br /><br />Welcome to news reporting in the new century.<br /><br />Does anyone remember that movie about just that topic? The media was the sole control of peoples reactions. Does anyone recall the name?

POINTER94

Vice Admiral

jtexas,<br /><br />
Sad sad state of affairs when this train of thought is held up as the "right" approach to actual survival. 10hr x 2mph = OUT OF TOWN!!!!!!<br /><br />We are a pathetic nation not worthy of assistance if this is truely the approach a majority of us subscribe to.
Nowhere do I see your name asscribed here. Do you or do you not agree with the concept of saving yourself when you are able. Like say when a boat is tied to the porch? I have seen nearly a hundred sound bites of people blaming the government for their situation, blaming bush for:<br /> a) the hurricane itself.<br /> b) neglect of the levies<br /> c) intentional slow response based on race.<br /> d) leveraging their position on the war to this situation.<br /> e) global warming<br /> f) increase of gas prices<br /> g) not being prepared for an area the size of Great Britian being wiped out.<br /><br />I am sickened by the coverage of the situation, the entitlement mentality exibited by some of the NO residents and most of their elected leadership and the political opportunists seeking to gain while a significant number of our countrymen need a hand up. I contend that any able bodied male and most able bodied females should be able to make the effort to save themselves. Here's my positition "GET OUT OF THE SEWAGE" If that meant I had to wade in it to get to something or somewhere to get me to safety than sobeit. Waiting and whineing is for defeatists. That isn't what built this country despite what they teach in the public schools.<br /><br />Please don't internalize my comments as they are not an indictment of you, just a belief that we are a better country than what the media and some porport to be solutions. I will repeat my position 2mph x 10hrs = safety. Then wait a day because within 24hrs there was plenty of drinking water on the outskirts of the disaster. Wait a day and walk for 6-8 hrs at 3 mph. 3mph x 8 = 24miles. Within 2-3 days you are in safety. That will get you to a phone, shelter, friends, a church, medical assistance. Or you can sit on the porch and wave. I know what I would do, expect my brothers to do, expect my friends to do, if a disaster like this hit. You are a hinderance to the rescue of those who cannot help themselves, when you sit on your fat arse and wait for someone to do for you what you could do for yourself.<br /><br />I would be willing to bet that you would be along side me, paddling to safety if put in this position. The fact you have an opinion you are willing to share along with the fact that you are at a site that attracts "doers" as opposed to talkers makes me confident is saying that. When situations like this happen, it is incumbant on the individual to extend themselves, not wait for others to extend themselves.

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

sorry, pointer, my bad...I read too much between the lines...

JasonJ

Rear Admiral

Besides the fact that I would have evacuated in the first place, I would have paddled my arse off to get out of there. I would rather die trying than not.....