My New Orleans

jtexas

Fleet Admiral
Okay, I know I have nothing to complain about. The wife & I never went to New Orleans more than once or twice a year, just to wander through the Quarter, ettoufe or shrimp & oyster po-boys with lettuce & onions and remoulade or sauce picant, & a couple fresh fruit daquiri's at Tujaque's. Hardly seems worth the trouble now, of renting a car & finding safe downtown parking.<br /><br />New Orleans is where I decided to propose, in 1982, at Brennan's on Royal Street. Couple months before I graduated LSU, I had a job interview with Southern Bell. I invited my girlfriend, we'd met 6 weeks prior & been going out 5 weeks. Couldn't afford a downtown hotel so we stayed out in Fat City (Metaire). At Brennan's every table feels like its own room; only illumination is the candles, the waiters & busboys know how to deliver & pick up dishes without making a sound. I remember all the details, oysters bienville, stuffed red snapper & trout muniere, bananas foster, Grand Marnier & chicory, the green dress. First time in my life I ever dropped a c-note on a meal for two. I decided to propose; I had a tendancy toward risky behavior in those days, but I knew better than to take that step on the spur of the moment. We got engaged the next night. <br /><br />I found out later that while I was interviewing at Ma Bell, she went over to St. Louis Cathedral on Jackson Square, to light a candle to St. Jude, patron saint of hopeless causes. I never had a chance.<br /><br />Didn't get that job, so I never lived in New Orleans. But I've always known she would be there for me. I'm kind of starting to miss her.<br /><br />Thanks for listening.

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral
Re: My New Orleans

Good story jtexas.<br /><br />I beleive every American should visit New Orleans, it is totally unlike any other city in the USA.<br /><br />I hope they bring the good parts back to their formal glory.<br /><br />I enjoyed going down the garden/park area near Bourbon street and meet and see the interesting people. Lots of good street performers there.<br /><br />By they way, I bet you 20 dollars I can tell you where you got them shoes at. :D <br /><br />Ken

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

I got 'em on my feet, and my feets is on Bourbon Street! :D

ehenry

Commander

On my feet on Bouron street!! <br /><br />Depending where you ran in to that guy...i ran in to him on Jackson Square!

Limited-Time

Vice Admiral

I saw that guy back in the early 80's. Man that kid must be pushing 30 by now.......

Vlad D Impeller

Commander

Quote:<br />"By they way, I bet you 20 dollars I can tell you where you got them shoes at :D "<br /><br /><br />Don't say that you fell for that one :D :D

D

DJ

I was living in NO at that time.<br /><br />Both my children were born at Lakeside Hospital in Metairie, not far from Fat City. Know it well.

Vlad D Impeller

Commander

I bought my dog at the pet store in lakeside mall in 1994. :) <br /><br />I met a girl at the 1986 New Orleans Mardi Gras, we got married in the fall of 1987 in Baton Rouge, on Oct 10th we will be celebrating our 18th wedding anniversary :) <br /><br />Breakfast at Brennans is awesome even if all you had was a cup of coffee, the ambience of the place is to die for :) <br /><br />Too many sunday brunches to count at the Court of Two Sisters, absolutely georgeous food and service :) <br /><br />So many afternoons idled away on the levy in front of Jackson Square, watching the tug boats push their barges along the mighty river, as it lazily flows on its merry way to the ever sounds of jazz and blues oozing from within the Passionate city of New Orleans. :) <br /><br />In my heart i weep for New Orleans, a city from where so many wonderful memories have infected my very soul :(