My neice took a spill like Christopher Reeve

Mark42

Fleet Admiral
My niece is 12 and her Mom has had her horse riding for the last 4 years. Niece is rather good at it. A week ago she was at a competition and got on a strange horse. The horse stopped short, and my niece went over the horse and head first into the brick wall the horse was supposed to jump over. She was unconscious for about 10 minutes and was taken to the local hospital. She was wearing a riding helmet. Turns out she has a very bad concussion. She has total memory loss of that day. Doctors kept her for 5 days due to brain swelling and neck compaction. Still has headaches, problems walking straight and still has bouts with vomiting. She must stay out of school for a few more weeks. Doctors orders to say home for a month because any subsequent head injury within 30 days can prove fatal. She has had two cat scans and needs more follow up visits to monitor her recovery.<br /><br />Her parents were terrified that she was going to die. My sister says she won't let her ride horses ever again. It's about time. I always worried that she would suffer the same injury as Chris Reeve did and she came darn close to it. The doctor said that this injury would have been fatal if she was not wearing a helmet. <br /><br />To me horses and kids do not mix. I'm no expert but my experience with horses taught me that they are big, stupid, unpredictable and dangerous. <br /><br />I place the full blame on my sister for keeping my niece involved with horses. The only reason my niece was riding is because my sister did it when she was young. If my sister got her interested in soccer or track she would have been doing that and not even cared two hoots about horses.<br /><br />I just hope she doesn't have any permanent long term affects from this head injury. <br /><br />This totally unnecessary crap really pisses me off.

D

DJ

Re: My neice took a spill like Christopher Reeve

Mark,<br /><br />My prayers are with you, and the family.

LadyFish

Admiral

Same here Mark. My best wishes for a positive outcome.

SoulWinner

Commander

Amen, same here Mark.<br /><br />Any head injury that causes loss of consciousness for 10 minutes is VERY serious. That is a LOOOONG time to be out. Probably the best thing she has going for her (after those of us who are praying for her) is the fact the she is young, young-uns heal a lot faster than us old folks.<br /><br />Personally, I love horses. They each have their own personality, they are smarter than folks give them credit for, and I find them to be magnificent creations. I would not, however, put an 8 year old on a horse of ANY size.<br /><br />P.S. I had two concussions when I was young. One was pretty serious, but neither knocked me out, and hey, look at me now!

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

I wish the very best and a quick recovery for your neice, Mark.<br /><br />A child that doesn't engage in recreation that involves some risk is probably locked in a cage. Accidents happen; on bicycles, in sports activities like soccer or track, walking down the street and, yes, in equestrian activities. <br /><br />Your sister obviously took measures (helmet) to protect your neice. She needs and deserves your support and love, not blame.<br /><br />Sorry you have had such poor experience with horses, too. My experience has been the opposite.

wajajaja

Chief Petty Officer

Mark, Im with you, horses belong in can labled ALPO,

eeboater

Commander

Originally posted by JB:<br /> I wish the very best and a quick recovery for your neice, Mark.<br /><br />A child that doesn't engage in recreation that involves some risk is probably locked in a cage. Accidents happen; on bicycles, in sports activities like soccer or track, walking down the street and, yes, in equestrian activities. <br /><br />Your sister obviously took measures (helmet) to protect your neice. She needs and deserves your support and love, not blame.<br /><br />Sorry you have had such poor experience with horses, too. My experience has been the opposite.
I agree. I wanted to say the same thing but didn't want to Hijack the thread. Spose it isn't a hijack since Mark was talking about kids and horses.<br /><br />My little brother grew up on horses. I think with appropriate people monitoring them, they are great animals to work with. Heck, a 12 year old with the ability to ride a horse is better off than I'd say 60% of the USA. <br /><br />Like JB said, there are millions of ways she could get a concussion. I think her participation in riding horses is an EXCELLENT way to keep her in the "Right" crowd. Put it this way, if I was a "Dad" I'd rather have my daughter hanging out with the horse crowd rather than the skateboard/goth crowd.<br /><br />Sean

Barlow

Lieutenant Commander

hope she comes out of the injury in good terms Mark..<br /><br />I'm of mixed opinion on the horses .. but, theres no blame to put on anybody in an accident.<br /><br />thats life .. Sh*t happens.. <br /><br />she coulda been running on the sidewalk and tripped on her own feet and done the same thing or worse..<br /><br />just be thankfull she's going to be alright.. and as others have said, "they need your support!".. not criticism. ;)

pjc

Lieutenant Commander

I Hope and Pray your Niece will be AOK Mark. My near seven daughter rides as well, but only general riding lessons. She loves it and I and my Bride make sure she wears safety equipment.<br /><br />Hoping for a full recovery for your Niece Mark.

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

Thanks to all for your kind words and well wishing. <br /><br />Regarding horses, I beleive that if you want to get along with horses, you need to own the horse. Not just rent one on the weekends. They are very tempermental and need to know their riders well. There are lots of horses where I live. Lots of them have "special needs". Thats a nice way of the owner saying the horse is a problem to deal with. <br /><br />I like to look at them, not have a relationship with them.

dogsdad

Lieutenant

You have my complete support in wishing the best for your niece and a full recovery. Hopefully there will be no long-term effects.<br /><br />I also understand your disdain for horses at the moment---I have never been a horse fan myself, I see them as tools (at times indispensible). BUT, there are many ways for any child or adult to be hurt seriously while having fun...water sports and boating come to mind. Roller skates or just a routine ride in the car...life is fragile. Sometimes you have to accept the risk in a chosen activity.<br /><br />Best wishes and prayers for your niece.<br /><br /><br />-dd-

crab bait

Captain

sorry to hear.. thanks for the share.. gut felling she'll be just fine..

Kenneth Brown

Captain

Sorry to hear about your niece. Severalmonths ago my daughter got hurt on a horse, will pony actually. It was my daughters fault. She freaked and the horse sensed it. That lead the horse to act up. I wanted to kill the horse, almost tried to but couldn't get to the gun because I had locked the keys in the house. Accidents do happen, it doesn't matter what you do there is risk involved. Good luck on her recovery.

notinbig

Petty Officer 1st Class

God bless your family Mark. By the way all animals are wild some are just easier to train.

Twidget

Commander

My prayers are with your neice Mark.<br /><br />I'm sure your sister is beating herself up enough over this. She could probably use all the support she can get at the moment.<br /><br />I have a neice that has been riding since she was about 10. It used to scare me silly to watch, but she really enjoyed it though. She is allergic to dust and horses, but keeps it up anyway. She is now 18 and quite the horsewoman.