My motor has me very UPSET!

jagged

Seaman Apprentice
Well the troubles continue with my 35 hp mercury outboard peice of sh!t. First The motor would bog down so i took the carb off rebuilt it and the dripping stopped. Still no difference. Both marine shops were out of my manual i can't get one of the net no card. Then the choke broke and i had to open it and close it with my hand as a rode it. Now both of the rubber things that you put on the back of the spark plug are not getting a spark at all. We checked the wires and nothing. The thing that gets me is i payed 500.00 for it and have took it out 4 times and have not yet got to ride it good without it conk out. It is total b.s. and just wondering if you can give me some advice. I'm tired of looking through the archives cause everything i've tried and done has not worked. What could be wrong with this so i know what to tell a mechanic when i bring it in. Is the what made it bog down or is that something different. Thanks man its a 35 hp 1985 merc. ser# 0B149149

KennyKenCan

Commander
Re: My motor has me very UPSET!

What year is this motor?<br /><br />If you are trying to make repairs without a repair manual, then you are banging your head against the wall!<br /><br />Repair manuals will help you thru each step of troubleshooting your engine and in most cases, solve the problem.<br /><br />Getting agrivated will get you nowhere except P!ssed Offed.<br /><br />Sounds to me that you are having a fuel delivery problem.<br /><br />Make sure the vent on the gas tank is working correctly.<br /><br />If the vent is clogged, then the motor will die out once you try to give it the gas.<br /><br />Kenny

rolmops

Vice Admiral

hello.<br />Look for rust marks in unusual places.It could be that this motor went for a dive to the bottom before you got it.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Hi, Jagged.<br /><br />I can see that you are out of patience, so let's just take one step at a time and soon you will be back on the water.<br /><br />You have a friend or relative who has a card. Have him/her buy you the Repair Manual from iboats and give him/her the cash.<br /><br />Next step will be to get the spark plugs firing. Follow the manual instructions for testing the ignition system. If you want some coaching to help you along with that we have a lot of Merc-sperts on here who will be glad to help.<br /><br />Come back to this thread with a progress report. You will be able to find it by clicking on SEARCH and entering your member number.<br /><br />Note that I have edited your topic title a bit.<br /><br />Good luck. :)

SeaMasterZ@aol.com

Lieutenant Commander

lol, JB does a lot of editing ...<br /><br />Ill shoot over to the Garage tomorrow and see if I have the little merc book in the 1985 range ... no guarantees, but maybe I got it, Ill take some pics with the Digichrome and post them, Ill put the address in this column<br /><br />patience is a virtue!

papasage

Senior Chief Petty Officer

jb is right have patients . once you git it right you will be happy . working on thim is half the fun . that why i have seven of the money holes . but i alwayse hon ready to go . papasage

jagged

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks guys! you already have me feeling better. Castaway thanks man for just trying even if you don't have one. When you said It could have took a dive before i bought i notcied that there is clumps of dirt around the inside of the motor but it is unusally clean almost looks brand new inside i mean flawless. I really gotta get a manual cause i've heard everyone in here say get one and it is dumb to work without one. I'm tryin guys thats all i can do. Thanks!

rabidfish

Senior Chief Petty Officer

This is a feeble albeit honest attempt to humor you.... The problem is your priorities....<br /><br />What kind of fool spends $1000 for a computer & only $500 for his boat motor??? <br /><br />Only one thing in life is worth more than your boat engine.... & that is bait!<br /><br />Good luck !!! Dont give up!