My law of ropes and cords, and deep philosophical questions.

Tinkerer

Senior Chief Petty Officer
THE LAW: All ropes, cords and hoses will not catch on anything except the things you don't don't want them to catch on.<br /><br /><br />Why is it that you can drag 120' of rope or hose or electrical cord anywhere you like, even through a forest or scrub or swamp, but they only ever get caught a few feet short of where you need them?<br /><br />Why do they always get caught on the most trivial projections but never on a really substantial one that you want them to stick on?<br /><br />Why do tape measures get stuck on nothing but won't hold on the bit you need to measure something?<br /><br />Why do hoses kink and cut off the water when you're a foot away from where you need the water?

Bondo

Staff member
Re: My law of ropes and cords, and deep philosophical questions.

Why is it that you can drag 120' of rope or hose or electrical cord anywhere you like, even through a forest or scrub or swamp, but they only ever get caught a few feet short of where you need them?
Aannndddd,............ It's Always Hung-Up,.. 119' from Where You're Standing............... :D

Tinkerer

Originally posted by Bondo:<br />
Why is it that you can drag 120' of rope or hose or electrical cord anywhere you like, even through a forest or scrub or swamp, but they only ever get caught a few feet short of where you need them?
Aannndddd,............ It's Always Hung-Up,.. 119' from Where You're Standing............... :D
ROFL

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

WHy is it that rope can go from being neatly wound, to being a hideous ball of knots just by the slightest movement?<br /><br /><br />Murphys law has been proven time and time again.<br /><br />This is why you have kids..."Go get that rope un hooked"<br /><br />Ken

Laddies

Banned

You might as well blame it on Murphy it's his law :D

dolluper

Captain

It,s called Physic's 120 feet -one foot equals 119 feet back simple formula :D

PatPatterson

Chief Petty Officer

Originally posted by Bondo:<br />
AAANNNNNDDDD the spigot where the 120' hose is connected is 128 feet from where you need to spray the water!!!

ehenry

Commander

Its just like a set of jumper cables.....never fails...when you want to use them they're tangled up and caught on something and you spend 10 minutes getting them where you can use them.

NYMINUTE

Captain

Originally posted by Tinkerer:<br /> THE LAW: All ropes, cords and hoses will not catch on anything except the things you don't don't want them to catch on.<br /><br /><br />Why is it that you can drag 120' of rope or hose or electrical cord anywhere you like, even through a forest or scrub or swamp, but they only ever get caught a few feet short of where you need them?<br /><br />Why do they always get caught on the most trivial projections but never on a really substantial one that you want them to stick on?<br /><br />Why do tape measures get stuck on nothing but won't hold on the bit you need to measure something?<br /><br />Why do hoses kink and cut off the water when you're a foot away from where you need the water?
Hey tinkerer: Find something to do...Winter is killing you.

Tinkerer

Originally posted by NYMINUTE:<br />
Hey tinkerer: Find something to do...Winter is killing you. [/quote]<br /><br />Possibly.<br /><br />Except it's supposedly summer here, although it ain't much different to winter at the moment.

LadyFish

Admiral

Hmmmm, I guess this would explain the electrical tape on Mr. LF's circular saw.

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

Originally posted by LadyFish:<br /> Hmmmm, I guess this would explain the electrical tape on Mr. LF's circular saw.
Nope, that is cause the stupid cord always is magnetically attraced by fast moving sharp objects.<br /><br />My dads has two bandaged areas. :D <br /><br />Nothing like some good high voltage fun. :D <br /><br />Ken

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Sometime in your youth you did something wicked, mate. It's payback time.

Kenneth Brown

Captain

Is that why your beard is so gray JB? :) <br /><br /><br />I don't buy into that. There is NO WAY I was as bad as my youngest. My oldest, Tyler< is an angel. The young one, Stephanie, was put on Earth to hound people to death.

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

Hey, is that why my anchor always hangs one foot off the bottom?

wilkin250r

Chief Petty Officer

There are lots of these. If you need to secure something with 20 ft of rope, you either have 18ft, or 80 ft. And if you DO have that 80ft. rope, invariably you can't just put it OVER your hooks, you have to pull the entire length THROUGH your hooks.

tfjrc2

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Ropes have a pagen god of their own. When we put them away in dark places, they worship. I overheard them one time by being real quiet and sneaking up on my ski and tow ropes.<br />Do you know who they were praying to?<br /><br />.<br />.<br />.<br />.<br />Give Up?<br /><br />It was the knot fairy! They were about to sacrifice my newest / unused / ugliest rope because it was virgin!<br /><br />Whoever said winter was killing us with boredom was right....Piers go in 4/15/05. Wetsuits go on 4/16/05!

crab bait

Captain

NO SHE DIDN'T..!! NO SHE DIDN'T ,, just insult a man's circular saw..!! <br /><br />GOTTA DRAW BATTLE LINES, NOW..!!