My house is on fire!!! NOT!

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral
Got a call from the wife. Says neighbor just called fire department, smoke coming from roof.<br /><br />I jump in the car and start to drive home (45 min trip).<br /><br />Well 5 minutes later after FD arrived and inspected, she says everything is fine, no fire!<br /><br />Can anyone guess what the smoke was from?<br /><br />Hint, it was raining, and I have asphalt shingles.<br /><br />Ken

TPD211

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: My house is on fire!!! NOT!

Steam from water hitting the hot shingles is my guess...

BrianFD

Senior Chief Petty Officer

While on a tour of duty as a volunteer firefighter, we had a call of a house fire. The medic, pumper and ladder all responded, with the pumper arriving first. The (paid) lieutenant called in that he had smoke showing, so we boarded the second pumper and rolled out. About a minute later, the lieut. called in a "signal O" and was clearing the scene. He had made the same mistake. So, even veteran firefighters occasionally make that mistake.

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

Originally posted by Triggerr:<br /> Steam from water hitting the hot shingles is my guess...
You win the prize!!<br /><br />Actually, I am glad. I am glad I have neighbors that are kind enough to knock on my door and tell the wife and kids house is on fire and get them out.<br /><br />I am lucky in that I have several like this around me. Not nosy, but look out for the house, wife, and kids.<br /><br />I'd tell the wife to do it again, if she thought there was a fire. Not mad at all. Rather be safe than sorry.<br /><br />Ken

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

Originally posted by BrianFD:<br /> While on a tour of duty as a volunteer firefighter, we had a call of a house fire. The medic, pumper and ladder all responded, with the pumper arriving first. The (paid) lieutenant called in that he had smoke showing, so we boarded the second pumper and rolled out. About a minute later, the lieut. called in a "signal O" and was clearing the scene. He had made the same mistake. So, even veteran firefighters occasionally make that mistake.
I too have personally checked this house for smoke before, cause it was steaming.<br /><br />If you havent seen a steaming house before, trust me, it looks like a LOT of smoke.<br /><br />Have to have the right kind of weather conditions, and just a small aount of rain.<br /><br />Ken

ehenry

Commander

It certainly is nice to have neighbors that look out for one another. One of my neighbors called the police to my house once when he saw a strange truck backed up to my shop. This neighbor, with loaded Colt 45 in hand, met a stranger coming out of my shop with a friend as they were loading a large fan that I have. Fourtunately the neighbor was cool headed enough not to shoot the stranger or his friend because the friend was ME on the other end of the fan. We were in my friends truck. The Police arrived shortly there after and all ended well. I'm still greatful that I have neighbors that look out for my family and my place.

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

Funny thing is...about an hour after the FD left, an clean cut man shows up and knock on the door.<br /><br />"Did you have a fire"<br /><br />Wife, "Nope, it was steam"<br /><br />Man "have a nice day"<br /><br />Took me a while but now I know who it was...<br /><br />A LAWYER!!! Must have been listening to a scanner.<br /><br />Ken

crab bait

Captain

the lawyer should sue the house for letting off steam..??<br /><br />not much of a lawyer if you ask me.. turned an walked away from a cracked open door greeting..

ehenry

Commander

dont get me started on lawyers

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

One other possibility was it was some type of "fire cleanup" company rep. Or a reporter.<br /><br />But would think either one of those would have IDed themselves, this guy didnt.<br /><br />Ken