my first boat stuck on sandbar

cistn

Seaman Apprentice
under pressure from my kid 18 yrs old, i decided to take my 26' boat out of the slip, on a very windy day,first dumb move.going out I never looked at the markers, 2nd dumb move. i saw the water color change,,,blue to brown...yes i know,brown is ground and green is clean..drove up on a sand bar...prop chewed to hell. called guy who sold me the boat. he pulled me off with a 15 foot skiff,,made it back into the slip, embarressed as hell and $70.00 short for the prop.<br />moral of story, never be pressured to go out when you know better, rememeber the fundamentals of boating (markers). results i finally sold the 26' and bought a 16' skiff, won't sink #1 and have alot more fun playing in the bay and caught alot more fish already...sometimes bigger is not better. and a hell of alot more costly.

Twidget

Commander
Re: my first boat stuck on sandbar

Someone once told me your boat should get larger/nicer as you get older. It always made me wonder why there were so many white haired gents in 13 foot boats if that were the case. :)

Belchy

Petty Officer 1st Class

No matter what, sand bar is still better than rock shoal!!

bunnybonker

Cadet

NA!! TRY CATCHING THE RIGGING ON A SUNKEN SAILY THAT HURTS RIPPED THE TRANSOM OUT AND ME BOAT JOINED THE SAILY.