My first Bald Eagle sighting

karrick

Petty Officer 1st Class
I was fishing at Hardy Resevoir Monday night. Real nice evening, only sound to be heard was crickets and cicadas. As I'm trolling through a stumpfield looking for a good fishing hole, I hear a loud Woosh, Woosh, Woosh. About 50 feet above the boat a bald eagle swooped out of a tree and went soaring across the lake. What an amzing animal! I guess the eagles are making a comeback in Southern Indiana. I'm on route to buy a disposable waterproof camera to leave in the boat to hopefully catch one on film next time. <br /> :cool:

eeboater

Commander
Re: My first Bald Eagle sighting

When I was in Alaska there were tons of em. It was awesome, they were almost as prevalent as seagulls! <br /><br />Sean

RetNav

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I agree ee. You couldn't even clean a fish outside without the eagles gathering around looking for a free meal. I have some slides somewhere showing some of them. Of course I wasn't in mainland Alaska, I was about 1,000 miles out on the chain, Adak was the place.

ErikDC

Petty Officer 1st Class

Bald eagles are making a comeback here in Ohio too, Karrick. I saw my first and only so far near Hoover Reservoir about two years ago. Now THAT'S a big bird! Very cool, huh?

mikeandronda

Lieutenant Commander

2-3 yrs ago I counted 50+ bald eagles out on the ice on the Black River in La Crosse....was awesome.......... They are there every year.

txswinner

Banned

Saw three at Wyandotte County Lake in KCK last winter, and what a sight. Don't know if they get this far south anyone know.

Skiuseme

Chief Petty Officer

Mike I can atest that they are still there Every Day sitting on the ice fishing in the open spots. I have had a dry spell for seeing them here in the past month but i saw one today. Usually its 1 or 2 a week

FSHKPR

Ensign

Here in wisconsin they are coming back also. saw three sitting high in a pine tree a couple weeks back on resivior pond. had a camera but it had no zoom and they were to high for a decent pic. sure are majestic looking tho.

one more cast

Captain

They are truly an awsome bird. We have a few around upstate NY also.

D

DJ

Not to rain on the parade, but my studies of biology show them as:<br /><br />1. Opportunistic.<br /><br />2. Birds of prey, on the WEAK/dead only. Far on the very top of the food chain.<br /><br />3. Fragile. Nothing to do with the environment, other that idiot shooters looking for an easy target.<br /><br />We've all taken the "pill" that the eviro's fed us.

BF

Lieutenant

I'm not sure what parade or pill you mean... but up here they're not uncommon. Not as common as hawks or loons, but many lakes have resident baldies. <br /><br />As far as only preying on weak/dead, I think that's not quite true. The 2 times I've seen a bald eagle flying with prey it had, 1) about a 2+ pound northern pike (it had swooped over the shallows and grabbed the pike that was near the shore), very cool to see and 2) a large garter snake. Both were definately not dead (were wigglin' away). Yes, I'd say opportunistic is a good word for them. I know people get nervous about their cats when lots of eagles are around.

D

DJ

BF,<br /><br />I've seen many carrying dead carp/muskrats, etc. over a river that was proclaimed "dead".<br /><br />All enviro. BS.