My Dad's team won the National SAR competition

eeboater

Commander
My Dad (Sutter) is a huge participator in the Green Bay auxiliary. They went to a competition and won the national prize!<br /><br />He taught me everything I know... :D <br /><br />Sean<br />---------------------------------------------<br /><br />Coast Guard members win trophy at international eventd<br /><br />Members earn national prize at search and rescue event <br />By Nathan Phelps<br />nphelps@greenbaypressgazette.com<br /><br />Four U.S. Coast Guard Auxiliary members from the Green Bay area brought home the national championship from the International Search and Rescue Competition the weekend of Nov. 6.<br /><br />Bill Miehe, Brian Pigeon, Bill Sutter and Len Van Denack made up one of 12 teams from the United States and Canada — six from each country — that faced off in a series of seven scored events aimed at testing the skills of participants.<br /><br />Events included a simulated search and rescue, fixing a ruptured pipe onboard a vessel and communications.<br /><br />“We did our best. I would have liked to have walked out of there with the international trophy, but national is pretty good,” said Sutter, the team’s 47-year-old captain, who lives in Green Bay. “It’s the first time we’ve even participated.”<br /><br />The team, representing the western part of the Coast Guard District 9, came up four points short of taking the top international honors; those went to two teams from Canada that tied for the top spot.<br /><br />This year’s competition took place in Portsmouth, Va.<br /><br />The Green Bay Coast Guard station has about 35 auxiliary members who are unpaid volunteers and complement the two active-duty personnel and reserve at the station.<br /><br />Sutter and Pigeon said success in the competition reaffirms the training standards they have set for their members.<br /><br />“Everything we did in that competition is something I wouldn’t have learned anywhere else,” said Pigeon, 30, of Bellevue. <br /><br />The competition is one more way auxiliary members are able to hone their skills and learn from their counterparts.<br /><br />“I saw the way other teams did things,” Pigeon said. “It will probably help with enhancing the training, the different ways, the shortcuts and things that will help out.”<br /><br />The Coast Guard puts a heavy emphasis on boater education and safety. <br /><br />Ultimately it’s helping other boaters that keeps volunteers like Sutter, Pigeon, Miehe and Van Denack coming back.<br /><br />“Just the satisfaction that I’m helping the public, that’s what it comes down to,” Pigeon said. <br /><br />SOURCE:Green Bay Press Gazette Online

KaGee

Admiral
Re: My Dad's team won the National SAR competition

I'm sure you are proud Sean.

NYMINUTE

Captain

Great news, ought to post on Good News Network too.

neumanns

Lieutenant Commander

Awsome....Is the only thing that comes to mind.

LadyFish

Admiral

WOW that is really cool!!!!!!<br /><br />Nice for a son to be proud of his Dad rather than <br />the other way around every once in awhile. :) <br /><br />Congrats to your Dad and his team!