my cover idea

Jasonsamko

Cadet
my boat came with a really nice playpen cover that snaps around the top of the fencing. But it doesnt cover the whole deck fore and aft nor does it protect the outside of the fencing from uv rays, tree sap etc (boat sits in my yard and i live in the woods). plus the play pen cover takes me a little time to get on and off.

I wanted a cover that cpvered the whole deck adn all the fencing. it also had to be really fast on and off.
i bought a ******** covermate hd600 for a 24 foot boat (my boat is 22). i made 3 pvc supports that adjust fast with a spring clamp adjustment.
I really like the protection and the speed i can get it on or off and the cheap cost.
IMG_20130330_161823_973_zps78634eb5.jpg

IMG_20130330_162234_744_zps566c67f3.jpg

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral
Re: my cover idea

Looks like that should work just fine. I have a dock cover I use during the season, but also have one set up for winter use so I can get under it and work in the off season.

inside 5.JPG

inside 1.JPG

frame.JPG

brnschoneck

Petty Officer 1st Class

I do the same thing i use a big blue tarp doubled up they seem to hold up the best , whatever u do dont buy the cheap ones at wal-mart..

Jeep Man

Commander

My winter cover resembles Hawker's, on the outside. I tried the PVC method but the cold, wind and heavy snow snapped it like a twig. Went the 2x4 route.

Jasonsamko

Cadet

I plan to store the boat indoors in the winter (my buddy just built a huge pole barn and im gonna pay him a little money to let me keep it in there in the winter). but I wanted something with full coverage and super fast on and off. So far i like it, hopefully it holds up.

jjohnson120

Petty Officer 1st Class

Has anyone ever bought tarps from Harbor Freight ?

I've seen some large tarps in the store.... They have the blue tarps and silver tarps like the OP used.

Thanks! :)

From my experience those normal poly tarps just don't hold up. Invest a little bit of money in a vinyl coated one and you will see the difference in quality.

Here is a link from one I've bought, mine is a 14oz and have had much better luck than with the harbor freight specials.

Vinyl Tarps - Vinyl Tarp Direct

gpfishingdude

Chief Petty Officer

From my experience those normal poly tarps just don't hold up. Invest a little bit of money in a vinyl coated one and you will see the difference in quality.

Here is a link from one I've bought, mine is a 14oz and have had much better luck than with the harbor freight specials.

Vinyl Tarps - Vinyl Tarp Direct
Do you buy those in a rectangular shape or do you have them custom made to fit? We bought a water proof cover last year and it fit the sides very well but there was a lot of extra at the corners in the front and the back so it was hard to tie down. The only thing it had going for it was that it had a draw string going along most of the bottom so it could be pulled tighter at the bottom but then the draw string broke in both sides. The water proof canvas cover had buckles on the sides that were handy for pulling the sides tight but they weren't enough to keep it tight while trailering. Everything that was loose whipped in the wind and shredded so It wasn't a trailerable cover in my book.

junkman41

Petty Officer 1st Class

I like the way you guys made the supports for the winter cover
good job guys
Jack

dls322

Petty Officer 1st Class

The Harbor Freight ones are normally good for 1 year, the sun beats on them and they start to wear. Eventually they will break down and leave blue bits all over the place. But the price is right, especially if you have a 20% off coupon!! Get a new one each year.