My butt hurts - Rant

TwoBallScrewBall

Lieutenant Commander
Filled the boat today.<br /><br />$249.00<br /><br />And that was using 5 gallon jerry cans and carrying them down to the dock at $2.51/gal. Gas dock was $2.89 so I figured the two hours of trips to the gas station and the dock were worth the $40 I saved. <br /><br />remember when $1.49/gallon was a lot?

Reel Poor

Vice Admiral
Re: My butt hurts - Rant

Now I know why you butt hurts. Carrying all that gas has to be a pain in the A$$. :rolleyes:

Homerr

Commander

Better get some of this the next time you fill up... Cause you know it's gonna hurt even more!<br /><br />
buyinprivate_1856_25946572
<br /><br />H.

SpinnerBait_Nut

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Originally posted by Reel Poor:<br /> Now I know why you butt hurts. Carrying all that gas has to be a pain in the A$$. :rolleyes:
Nope, it's that sudden empty vacuum when the wallet went flat. :D <br /><br />Oh yea, 2.48 a gallon here right now and dropping. Don't know for how long though.

wildbill59

Petty Officer 1st Class

Nibs, It could be worse, gas in Milwaukee is $2.79 for regular at the street pump. If you see a maroon Plymouth Voyager with Wisconsin plates and a PETA- people eating tasty animals bumper sticker running in your neighborhood give em a honk of your horn. My wife and kids are staying in Shipbottom with her dad for the next few days. Wish I could be there on the shore.

Nos4r2

Lieutenant Commander

I shan't say anything except it costs me the equivalent of $100 every time I take my boat out...

mattttt25

Commander

2.77 on the street here.<br /><br />3.12 paid at the marina this past weekend. spent 406 filling up. fun.

treedancer

Commander

So you think the guy that runs the marina will finely trade that old Bentley for the new Rolls? :D

dolluper

Captain

Think I missed something here 2 hours going back and forth to save $40 .Just don't sound right, did you walk to the gas station or drive? Either way it cost you ,wear and tear on the body [could have taken years off your life],OR gas in the vehicle going back and forth= less than $40 saved<br />AND the biggest point 2 hours less on the water now that's priceless but worth more than -$40<br />Sometimes it's just worth paying to play :confused: :confused:

TwoBallScrewBall

Lieutenant Commander

Hey Dolluper, <br /><br />If you've got any extra $20's lying around I'll email you my mailing address.<br /><br />The boat is just under a mile from the dry-land gas station. I keep it behind my parents house, so the ritual is:<br /><br />1. Get six cans (30 gallons, overfill to 33) from the shed. <br />2. Drive 1 mile and Fill six cans.<br />3. Drive 1 mile and empty six cans into boat.<br />4. Repeat. Twice more. 99 gallon tank. I then put whatever is left over from the 99 gallons I bought (only 7 gallons this time!) in the shed and top off when I come back until that's gone.<br /><br />So I go 6 miles in the truck, about 1/3 gallon of gas burned there, so $0.80. <br /><br />Start to finish it takes about 2 hours, actually 1:45. I'm not rushing things. If I drive (the boat) to the nearest gas dock from my home dock, it takes about the same abount of time (30-45 minutes of no wake each way, all lagoons) and just ends up costing me more $$ for gas, let alone the gas I burn in the boat getting there and back.<br /><br />Like I said, I welcome any extra cash you have to throw away.

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

Try looking for a 55 gallon drum and use an electrical pump.<br /><br />Ken

byordy

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Yes gas prices hurt! $2.44 here for regular, $2.56 off the Interstate. My old Dodge gets 14.5 MPG. Avgas just went to $3.50 per gallon, airplane gets 10 MPG. I pay about $2.56 for boat gas and then add the 50/1 oil mix cost to that. I don't want to know the MPG of the boat!<br />But the bright side is that gas is still a smaller percentage of the average income that it was in the early 1980's (small consolation I know) and at least we're still able to use the truck, airplane and boat.<br />Bill...

aspeck

Staff member

If it is only a mile away, I would take the boat out of the water to fill 'er up - save on time and wear and tear on the body. Savings should still be the same.

Fishalolic

Cadet

We use a farm style gas trailer for fueling, haven't bought gas from a dock in several years.<br /><br />Battery powered pump with gallon indicator and filter. It has paid for it's self several times over.<br /><br />They can be had at most any tractor supply/farm supply/welding type places. <br /><br />Considering that our boat holds 240 gallons, and with dock prices at 3+ bucks a gallon, it is a no brainer. <br /><br />Probably will not work for you folks that are in a Marina since they probably sell gas and would try to stop you from pumping your own, however for the folks with their own dock it is an option.<br /><br />It saves us $120 per tank at current prices.

ZmOz

Captain

Even at the "discount" land stations it cost me about $3.20/gallon for the boat...for plus mixed with 2 cycle oil. :rolleyes: On the other hand, nothing makes me happier than going fast in my boat on a nice summer day, so it's worth it.

D

DJ

By the standard here-Phoenix, you could have paid $4.65/at the pump, at the lake marina..<br /><br />Good call, if you were here.