My Boat Steers EVERYWHERE!

Flames

Seaman
Hello all, my 86' SeaRay Seville 3.0 Cobra Outdrive zig zags back and forth at low speeds, is this a steering cable issue? Is there an adjustment?<br /> :confused: <br /><br />Thanks Rudy

DHPMARINE

Captain
Re: My Boat Steers EVERYWHERE!

Have someone hold the steering wheel so it doesn't turn.Try and move the out drive side to side.when it moves,find the play.<br /><br />DHP

Trent

Captain

Also....V-Hulls do "wonder" at low speed. Normal. But do as said above. Your going to get some "zig zags" (wonder).

Flames

Seaman

Thank you both, I was hoping I could get it to stop doing that........anyway, thanks , Rudy

Doug Durako

Chief Petty Officer

Try trimming your drive unit up at low speed---this puts less of the V of your bow down in the water---you should wander less.<br /><br />The other problem is you most likely have three blades on your prop----these push the stern of the boat in one direction constantly. The old boats with two-blade props did not have this problem.

Flames

Seaman

Thanks ddboater, I will give it a try. <br /><br /><br />Rudy

jmoffett

Recruit

My Bayliner Cobra 2250 did the same thing. I installed Smart Tabs and that problem went away completely.

Jdeagro

iboats.com Partner

Flames;<br /><br />The reason the bot wanders at slow speeds is that the entire "V" of the keel/ hull is in the water -all the way to the front of the boat. This gives the bow a lot of leverage in 'steering" one side to the other. For example - if the motor was in the front pulling the boat you would have no wander. <br /><br />JMoffett indicated that the Smart Tabs eliminated the problem, and this is always the case. Since the Smart Tabs are in the deployed possition at this speed, they create a resistance in the back to "crabing". This minimizes the bow steering effect. However this is only a side benefit to the Smart Tabs. Smoother ride, easier planing, no porpoising, better tracking etc. are the real benefits.