My baby is running great now except for....

Alexo1us

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Now the over heating is solved Hmmm some one told me they all over heat. <br />Anyway Now she is doing somthing really strange. for some reason when I have the cover down she runs rich and I mean rich she even bogs, lift the lid a crack and no problem there should be more airflow now since I removed the back seats. could it be the carb is set to rich. Is it possable that the spark arrester is pluged a bit Anyway any thoughts would be helpful.<br />Alex

todd5881

Cadet
Re: My baby is running great now except for....

sounds like the arrester is your problem, get some brake clean and spray it from the inside out. this will clean all the crud out of it, if you spray from the outside in it will just push the crud deeper into the arrester! good luck.

Alexo1us

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Originally posted by blown383:<br /> sounds like the arrester is your problem, get some brake clean and spray it from the inside out. this will clean all the crud out of it, if you spray from the outside in it will just push the crud deeper into the arrester! good luck.
I was thinking this too since it was left out in the weather during the fix up and as chance with have it I still have several cans of Carb and brake cleaner left over from the work.<br />Thanx for the info worth a try before I cut a hole for a vent in the cowling <br />Alex

steve n carol

Chief Petty Officer

alex,<br />any chance of this cover pressing in on the top of the flame arrester of activating the choke butterfly on the carb??<br />I never saw an arrester so clogged to choke out the engine.<br />Also, If the arrester is clogged, how would lifting the cover un-clog this?? <br />have you changed something here? different manifold/carb? or is this an injected unit??

jlinder

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I agree that it does not sound like a clogged arrester.<br /><br />Either the hatch is pressing on something, or there is no air venting in unless the the hatch is cracked, and I find that hard to believe.<br /><br />Can you try putting a thin sheet of styrofoam on top the arrester then close the hatch? When you reopen it you should have an impression if there is a clearance problems.<br /><br />BTW - I have a cleaner for my air conditioning system that mixes with water. I put it in a pan, soak the arrester, hose it off and it comes out like new. Sold at appliance parts stores.

Alexo1us

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Well this could also be a problem although I have mad sure this is no problem with clearence I did notice whom ever worked on the hooked the hoses up incorrectly for the venting the one with the blower on it went from one vent cap to another without having any exposure to inside air and the other just runs from vent to vent I did pull the intake side off the blower side and dropped it in the back but mabe it is still not enough can some one explain the correct routing for these I have four vents across top of the back <br />Alex