My '89 88SPL (tilt problem)

saycoda

Cadet
I've attached some pictures, one of the terminal block showing the relays, one of the trim motor and one on the trim piston that shows a rusted bracket.

1) When I hit the trim switch up, I hear a relay click, when I push it down no relay clicks. I swapped the position of the relays in the box and the same results up-click, down-no click, this tells me the relays are both good.

2) When I pierce the wire close to the motor (why only two wires for two positions?) I do measure 12V when i switch to up (click), 0V when down (no click), yet no activity with the motor.

I get the feeling that there is an interlock problem, somewhere along the line this motor was tilted down too far and an interlock kicked in and is frozen open, could this be?

Thanks in advance.

Frank

Attachments

• hpim0716.jpg
    hpim0716.jpg
    151.9 KB · Views: 0
  • hpim0719.jpg
    hpim0719.jpg
    149.9 KB · Views: 0
  • hpim0717.jpg
    hpim0717.jpg
    132.4 KB · Views: 0

saycoda

Cadet
Re: My '89 88SPL (tilt problem)

Hi,

OK I loosened the manual release valve, lifted the engine and removed the motor, tapped it and manually spun the shaft. I guess I un-ceased it but the motor is now working. I have a few questions before I re-assemble.

1) I am going to clean the residue around the shaft of the motor and replace the O-ring. I'm almost certain this is a Showa 2.4" motor because of where the wires come in. All motors must use the same O-ring because of the destination, correct? I also notice Hydrolic fluid on top of the pump is this normal?

2) What a crappy place for that third bolt, I'm assuming it was expected that the engine was off the boat to do this job. Well I broke a piece off of the motor rendering that third bolt useless. I think It'll be OK. Even if I got a new motor I can't see taking the engine off the boat.

3) When I re-assemble everything, when should I tighten the manual release valve? While the Engine is up or down?

Anything else I should consider?

Thanks in advance,

Frank

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

UP. suggest you swap the tilt solenoid positions, and see what happens.

saycoda

Cadet

UP. suggest you swap the tilt solenoid positions, and see what happens.

OK, so I tighten the manual release valve in the Up position. Can you elaborate on the swapping of the solenoid positions?

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

the little black boxes that are plugged into the control box. also clean all those connections.

Attachments

• thil box.jpg
    thil box.jpg
    143.4 KB · Views: 0