My 1973 Johnson Sea Horse 50 (Question)

DavidK

Cadet
Greetings all! Just had the family boat (1973 VIP W16) passed down to me. The boat and motor are in (at least to the best of my knowledge) in working condition, however, the boat hasn't been in water or ran at all in about 2 years. When my dad gave it to me, he said he thought that the carburator was gummed up, or that there was a tiny pin hole in the diaphragm. I'm a plastics mechanic, so I do have mechanical abilities, but have limited knowledge of marine outboard motors. I would like to run thru this one myself and get it back in shape for the lake.

My Question: Can anyone give me advice on what they think needs to be done to this motor before I put it in the lake? Are there any rebuild kits out there that I can buy to replace commonly worn parts?

Any help AT ALL would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• 1973vip006.jpg
    1973vip006.jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 0
Last edited by a moderator:

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: My 1973 Johnson Sea Horse 50 (Question)

you need 2 carb kits #384412 a water pump kit 384956. #'s may be superceded, parts diagrams and list are there with out the " "http://www.evinrude.com/en-US/Accessories/Literature/" the original correct manual is available at outboardbooks.com

that motor is well worth the time and money to maintain, and fairly simple. it will be running for your grand kids, properly maintained. had one, wish i had it back. you can make the tool with a belt sander to remove the fixed jets in the carbs. the carbs are relatively simple and straight forward.

Attachments

• MVC-220S.JPG
    MVC-220S.JPG
    38.1 KB · Views: 0
  • FixedJetScrewdriver2.jpg
    FixedJetScrewdriver2.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 0