MW Sea King

geoff69

Seaman Apprentice
Happy new year all.
Toward the end of last season I became the proud owner of A Montgomery Ward (allegedly) 15 hp Sea King. I have since been informed that it is actually 12 1/2 hp,but never mind. the motor actually ran when I got it but only at about 1/2 revs and under no load.As soon as the weather allows me to stay in the shed for more than five minutes without major frostbite risk I am going to overhaul it and would be grateful for any tips and insights on it ,such as where to start for instance,as this one is a complete stranger to me. The model # is GG9005A.
Thanks in anticipation.

Geoff69.

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Re: MW Sea King

That model number belongs to a 1957 12hp Electric Starting motor. Does it still have the starter on it? The starter stuff is worth as much as the rest of the motor, if complete.

The motor was made by Gale Products Division of OMC. It is similar to, but not the same as, a 15hp Evinrude or Johnson.

Anyhoo, I will bet good money that it is running on one cylinder. Furthermore, there is a very good chance the coils are shot (cracked). They always are unless they have already been replaced. They sell new ones here at iboats.

geoff69

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks for the info,you are probably right about the coils,they are on my look at/replacement list,you could also be on the button about the one cylinder thing too,something else to check.What I am after is some sort of stripdown sequence to get me going,like which bit to take off first.As you would know,knowing that can save you hours and skinned knuckles.
Cheers Geoff69.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

When you look this baby over I think you will see its very similar to the
the medium sized E/J 15,18 hp it shares carb parts,ignition parts and lower end parts rugged,simple to work on reliable,with plentiful parts.
It uses a single line fuel system with a fuel pump.

tx1961whaler

Vice Admiral

I always rebuild in this order:
Check compression. Readings should be within 10 percent of one another.
Check spark w/ a spark tester. You'll likely have to get new coils, points, and condensers. Just a fact of life for these old motors, but you'll never have to do it again.
New impeller. A must if you don't know how old it is.

geoff69

Seaman Apprentice

Thank you all,I will start ordering the bits soon so I'll have them ready when I start,though it won't be for a couple of months yet.
Incidentally it is a recoil start job,if it started life as an electric start I don't see where the starter would have been housed.
Cheers guys,I'll be back on when the great works start.
Geoff69