"Must-Have" Tools?

surfduke

Seaman
Hey guys... never forget, Christmas is coming and if we want to avoid the usual ties, singing bass (trout and barracuda) and underwear, we need to have a list and check it twice.<br /><br />Since we all love our boats and lord knows they need a good winter fixin', let's develop a list of tools we'll need to have to do any of the maintenance (water pumps, carb rebuilds, etc.) stuff on our engines. Maybe this year Santa will come through for us!!!

blackwaterstout

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: "Must-Have" Tools?

In addition to the standard screw drivers, rachets, and wrenches, some tools that come in handy are spark testors, compression gauges, ohm meters, and those skinny long rods with a magnetic tip :) <br /><br />Razor blades also come in handy for getting old gaskets off their seats.

BF

Lieutenant

a good and complete socket set including deep sockets and also 1/2" drive sockets (both SAE and metric)<br /><br />wobble extensions for socket drive<br /><br />complete SAE and metric wrench sets (in holders to keep 'em organized)<br /><br />a harmonic balancer puller (for flywheels)<br /><br />assorted sizes and lengths of needle nose pliers<br /><br />assorted sizes and lengths of vice grips (real Vice Grip brand, not knock off's)<br /><br />timing light<br /><br />zip ties<br /><br />assorted hose clamps<br /><br />a manual<br /><br />--edit--<br /><br />forgot, a set of circlip pliers<br /><br />a good complete set of drill bits

Paul Moir

Admiral

I second the Vice Grip brand pliers. My ones are finally starting to wear out after many years of hard service. The cheapo-s are still in great shape because I never use them. ;) <br /><br />I don't know if this applies to the fresh water environment, but I wouldn't go anywhere without my MAPP torch and impact screwdriver. Very good drill bits and a set of taps are necessary too. <br />On the high side, a little welder has been a welcome addition to the shop. It's great if you need to make a bearing carrier nut wrench or some other special tool in a hurry.

blackwaterstout

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Impact screwdrivers are awesome. I had never heard of one until a couple years back when I was trying to get a brake rotor off of my car. I thought for sure I was going to have to drill that screw out, but my neighbor came over with this gadget and a few quick taps on the screw got it right off. I went out later that day and bought one for myself. I don't use it often, but when I need it it's invaluable.

Walker

Captain

On outboards I use a 1/4 drive ratchet and socket set more than any other tools I own.

rabidfish

Senior Chief Petty Officer

A laptop and the newest Etec software is wonderful also!

Deryk

Cadet

The latest edition of Playboy to read while my wife thinks I'm working on the boat ;)