music .. where and what

Barlow

Lieutenant Commander
Last night I was on a date with a gal and we decided to head to the U. of WI Union terrace for a blues festival. It was free but that wasn't one of the reasons we went .. we both enjoy blues and the atmosphere is like no other..<br /><br />.. the back drop of the stage is Lake Mendota... guessing 50' behind the stage.. it's spectacular! boats are able to pull right up, anchor then kick back and enjoy.<br /><br /> It's like no place I've been I guess and while I was sitting enjoying a barley soda, great food great music, good company and such a 'range' of people ..I looked out at the lake as the sun was setting and thought -wow!- .. I wonder if there are places other than this that are so dynamic... <br /><br />thats why I write this ..asking what experiences, places, (what ever/where ever.. )and opportunities others have in the areas they live that seem to be like this?<br /><br />Please feel free to share :)

dogsdad

Lieutenant
Re: music .. where and what

I went to a concert in McKelligon Canyon in El Paso years ago. Freddie King, BB King, and others played. It was a beautiful day for summertime...a light rain cooled things off, and it was pretty good all in all.<br /><br />Another memorable one was at the Sportsplex outside of El Paso in 1990. Several artists played, but the highlight was Jean Luc-Ponty. He played most, if not all the stuff on Cosmic Messenger. It was magic, and one of those evenings you wish would never end.<br /><br />There's something about summer nights in the desert. Just add great company or great music, and the combination is intoxicating.<br /><br /><br />-dd-

crab bait

Captain

in downtown wilmington,, there's kahunahville along the christina river .. a BIG hotspot with a HUGE deck.. an there,, is huge professional stage.. <br /><br />they get nat'l acts all the time .. like bob dylan back in july.. <br /><br />many-a-time i anchored my boat off deck an catfished an drank while charley daniels, joan jett, kc an the sunshine band,collective soul, three doors down, heart,,an others serenade me.. <br /><br />it sure is fun.. an it's free..

f_inscreenname

Commander

We have the same thing here. The Baltimore Inner Harbor has Pier 6 Pavilion http://www.piersixpavilion.com/main.html . As you can see it is built on a (very large concrete) pier. You can pull down and anchor on both sides of the pier and check out the show and it sounds like you are in the 2nd row. I saw Boston there a couple weeks ago. Was going to CSN and Y but it ended up to be on a Monday night (to much hassle with kids under 5). Heart is coming in a couple week. May give that a try. It is so cool. The scenery, the boat, people on shore wanting to be where you are (not another face in the crowd), parking is not a issue, to leave - pull anchor and go. Then there is the drive home (if you go home). Usually the concert is only part of a really good night.