Multiple Carb Rebuild

RW632

Recruit
I have rebuilt carbs on many different engines over the years (I have a shop and do most of my own mechanic work, not because I like it but rather I cannot see spending $90.00 + per hour for something I can do myself)
BUT.. I have no experiance with outboards and I now have one that needs the carbs rebuilt and there is three of them. I have never worked on a multiple carb engine before. I know I can rebuild each carb but what do I need to know about getting them exactly the same again or should I spend the $90.00 per hour to have somone else do it?
1990 60 HP Mariner ODO36167

scottybm1

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Multiple Carb Rebuild

I'm in kind of the same situation myself. If you're comfortable rebuilding them, by all means tear in. I wouldn't change any screw settings if possible, just take them apart, clean them up and re-assemble with new gaskets and jets if you have them. When the time comes, maybe take it to a shop for a sync and link and save the hours they'd charge you for the rebuild.
Just my two cents. Good luck,
Scotty

1nebel0

Chief Petty Officer

Very easy to do.. so is so few parts in these carbs..take all three off together..The sync is so easy and the manual explains it....If you have the least amount of ability both of you can do it and save the shop money...The sync process is 15 minutes..not trying to over simplify but rather give you both the confidence to save the shop money.. Rate in Calif is $125 hr............

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Cleaning and rebuilding the carbs is easy. You will want to install new gaskets, inle needle and sea and perhaps floats. Inspect the floats for deteriation, and replace if you find some. Clean everything up, by soaking the carbs in solvent or the jetspray method.

Synchronizing the carbs is a bit tricky. Follow the manual steps exactly, and remember, most OB carbs do not have accelerator pumps, so they need to be set a bit richer than optimum in order to accelerate. Also, the mid carb will run a bit richer than the upper carb, and the bottom carb a bit richer than the mid carb.

circle hook

Petty Officer 1st Class

just count the number of turns on the adjustment screws before taking them out write them on paper number the carbs top, mid and bottom clean and rebuild them, put the adjustment screws back where they were and the engine will start and run then follow the manual on link & sync, remember the timming wont change by removing the carbs, so dont worry its not a tuff job good luck Bob