multimeter use help

7lazy77

Petty Officer 1st Class
I am trying to track down why my horn isn't working & can't use the test light because there is nowhere to ground it at. How do I correctly use the multimeter to track down my problem? Where do I need to turn the dial to? The only thing I have ever used it for was testing the voltage on my camper batteries. Any help is appreciated.

BonairII

Commander
Re: multimeter use help

Just apply 12 volts on either end of the horn...it should buzz if it's working. Just did it recently to test my overheat horn.

UncleWillie

Captain

The test light or the Meter both need to be connected to a ground to light up or measure voltage. (Same Thing!)
Get a long piece of wire and connect it to the battery or engine block to use as a portable ground up front.
If you have a set of battery Jumper Cables, you are more than ready to go. :cool:

Set the Voltmeter on the 20 volt range.

Is the Horn Fuse Good? Sure? Really Sure? :D

7lazy77

Petty Officer 1st Class

Tried the 12 volts on the horn & it went off, so my horn is good. Cleaned off the connections & still nothing. I don't see any inline fuse from the horn to the horn button. Could the push button be bad?

belleview3

Petty Officer 3rd Class

OK, let's start at the horn switch. Turn the keyswitch to on (some horns won't work if the key is off). Set the meter to a DC range(20v or more) or auto(if it's digital). Put the black lead to a ground, normally there is a ground bar under the dash for the gauges. If you can't determine a ground, then run a wire to the negative side of the battery. Touch each side of the horn switch (button). One of the leads on the button should show 12v. If not, then you have a bad connector or a blown fuse. If one lead shows 12v, then touch the other lead (the one showing 0 v) and then push the horn button. It should now show 12v. If it doesn't, the horn button is bad. If it's good, then you have a problem with the wiring between the button and the horn or a bad ground (from the horn to system ground). Your said you put 12v to the horn, did you use one lead or two (positive only or both positive and negative)? If you used only the positive 12v, then your ground should be good. It's a process of elimination.